Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas mix in outboard incorrect, not enough oil?, how long to ruin the engine?

" wrote:
On Sep 7, 9:42 am, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Sep 7, 7:53 am, Norminn wrote:

Vacation, rented "cottage" with rented pontoon. Return of the security
deposits quite late....now the story is "not returning the deposit
'cause you trashed the outboard". It was a 20-something foot pontoon,
no idea size of engine (the guys will remember and they aren't here
right now). I have photos of our grandkids tubing on the last day we
were there....proof the boat was operating.

This was an "upscale" rental, complete with decorator coordinated bed
linens. $200 non-returnable cleaning charge, $750 dam. deposit. It was
cleaner when we left than when we arrived, thanks to grandma (me).

All of the adults made their own "final inspection" to look for
forgotten belongings, but owner wasn't present when we departed.

If they are "upscale" they should have left you enough "mix" for you
to use...so as to protect their property.
I would assume they don't expect you back! :^/

I'm reading between the lines and think
that we heard about the decorator linens but
nothing about what they did regarding putting
fuel in the engine for a reason......

If it was supposed to be 32:1 and you mixed
it 40:1 I would say it would be fine. If you
put straight gas in, I'd say significant damage
could start within minutes and the engine
could seize quickly. A lot would depend on
how it was used. Sitting idling at the dock
it would run longer. At full power, I would
think it could be over in minutes. It's like
running your car without engine oil.

Some related issues. Do you know for a
fact that you did not put oil in it? Was it
clearly explained what you were required
to do or not do? If they are demanding
payment and/or keeping the deposit you
have a right to see a diagnosis/bill, etc
from a reputable repair place that says
the engine failed from lack of oil.

The remaining gas should be checked. Early motors required more oil. Mostly
because the oil didn't mix as well as current oils.

Greg