Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saving a Vinyl Window?

I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this
house much longer. Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose,
but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up
at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WandererFan" wrote in message

I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out?

This was exactly how defective installation was remedied in this house
last summer: but the defect was noticeable only a couple of weeks
after the window was installed, and fixed within a month.

The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

You should ask a vinyl window manufacturer: but it
seems unlikely.

In your case, it seems important to find out the
cause, i.e. whether the foundation has shifted since
the window last opened freely (not specified here.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 1:29*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
snip

In your case, it seems important to find out the
cause, i.e. whether the foundation has shifted since
the window last opened freely (not specified here.)

Can't remember that window ever opening, but that could be a comment
on my memory as much as anything else. We very seldom have cause to
open it even the couple of inches it will allow.

There is a nearby foundation crack that has been there for years
(before we moved in). Would think it has done all the moving it's
going to do baring earthquakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 08:18:57 -0700 (PDT), WandererFan
wrote:

I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

Use a framing square and level(s) to see just how much the window
frame is out of square. Using the wrong type of expanding foam will
bow the frame. Cleaning some foam out may get you in the ball park.
Getting the frame square if the best approach.

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this
house much longer. Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose,
but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up
at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.

I suppose this window is also a fire egress? I would fix it now
instead of later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 11:18*am, WandererFan wrote:
I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. *Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. *I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? *The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this
house much longer. *Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose,
but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up
at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.

You could put a screw in the track to pull it straight if you can find
a place to put the screw where it is not a problem.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WandererFan" wrote in message
I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

If there is foam in there that you think may be pushing the bottom rail up,
I think that digging the excess foam out may work. After digging it out,
you may need to place a piece of wood in the bottom rail where the window
rides and then very carefully tap down on the wood to get the rail to go
down a little. Put a thin piece of wood or metal in front of the glass to
protect that while you are tapping with the hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 5, 10:18*am, WandererFan wrote:
I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. *Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. *I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? *The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this
house much longer. *Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose,
but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up
at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.

Dig out the foam, install a board slightly longer than the distance
from the bowed side to the opposite side and wedge it gently in place.
Leave it in place for a few days, then check to see if the window
works better. Repeat as needed. If it fails, bite the bullet and
replace the window. The replacement will be a selling point if you
decide to move.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Sep 5, 10:18Â*am, WandererFan wrote:
I have a problem with a vinyl horizontal slider window set in a
basement wall. Â*Neither sash will slide more than an inch or two.
There is a definite hump in the lower frame rail that binds the
sashes. Â*I have access to the indoor face of the window due to a
remodelling project.

If I dig out the excess foam under the window, is the frame likely to
straighten out? Â*The window is about 10 years old - will the vinyl
have taken a permanent "set" by now?

I'd rather not replace the window as I don't plan on being in this
house much longer. Â*Could just leave it for the next guy I suppose,
but then it would just be one more thing for the inspector to write up
at sale time.

Suggestions and/or sympathy appreciated.

Dig out the foam, install a board slightly longer than the distance
from the bowed side to the opposite side and wedge it gently in place.
Leave it in place for a few days, then check to see if the window
works better. Repeat as needed. If it fails, bite the bullet and
replace the window. The replacement will be a selling point if you
decide to move.

Joe

A replaced replacement window is no selling point over an original
replacement window that works.