Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ball Valve Replacement For House Water ?

On Sep 4, 11:52*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:22*am, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a valve inside of the house which is used as a shut-off valve to an
outside hose connection. Has to be replaced.
It's on a regular 1/2 Cu house water line.
Valve is therefore usually all the way Open, or all the way Closed.

In the winter, we shut it Off, and drain the line going to the outside.
Pretty typical.

The valve is Not a gate type, which wouldn't shut off completely.

What is is, is the kind that has a rubber washer, and a somewhat
circuitous path thru the valve.

Have seen these ball type of valves that have apparently become very
popular these days. Guess they have a 90 deg. on to off movement.

Any reason not to use it in place of what's there now ?

Pros and cons ?
e.g., when should they, and when should they not, be utilized ?

Thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

If I am reading & understanding your post, you have a globe valve that
needs to be replaced.

In this situation, winter shutoff, a ball valve is the perfect choice.

But since you current valve is just being used for winter shutoff
perhaps an in situ valve rebuild.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

The ball valve is what I use wherever possible.
Easier to shut off and more realiable.