Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default high velocity fan blade not balanced?

I bought a high velocity floor fan with metal blades (model 9220). On the
fastest setting, the fan vibrates slightly, but it has rubber bushing between
the fan and the feet, so the vibration is isolated.

However if I wedge the fan in a window to use as an exhaust fan, the whole house
starts to rumble since the fan cage is touching the window frame.

Is it common for this type of fan to vibrate due to off balanced blades? I don't
see any counter balancing weights on the fan blades. I imagine they would look
like those on a car wheel. I also don't see any holes drilled on the blades
(another way to balance)

Is there a kit for balancing fan blades?

If fans blades are not balanced, I wonder about 40 inch fans or large. Wouldn't
they vibrate so much they break themselves down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 2:59*pm, bob wrote:
I bought a high velocity floor fan with metal blades (model 9220). On the
fastest setting, the fan vibrates slightly, but it has rubber bushing between
the fan and the feet, so the vibration is isolated.

However if I wedge the fan in a window to use as an exhaust fan, the whole house
starts to rumble since the fan cage is touching the window frame.

Is it common for this type of fan to vibrate due to off balanced blades? I don't
see any counter balancing weights on the fan blades. I imagine they would look
like those on a car wheel. I also don't see any holes drilled on the blades
(another way to balance)

Is there a kit for balancing fan blades?

If fans blades are not balanced, I wonder about 40 inch fans or large. Wouldn't
they vibrate so much they break themselves down?

Your bigger problem seems to be the condition of your house if the
whole
thing starts to rumble when you misuse a fan designed to be used on
the
floor by wedging it in a window in an application it was clearly not
designed
for...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 9:48*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 2, 3:55*pm, Evan wrote:

On Sep 2, 2:59*pm, bob wrote:

[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

First of all, a Model number without a manufacturer's ID is a waste of
everybody's time.

Standard way to balance blades is to try a penny and some masking
tale, put the penny in the middle of one of the blades and see if the
vibration increases or decreases. Label /number *the blades a,b,c,d or
1,2,3,4 and use a notepad to keep track of things. *Find out which of
the four blades seems the best improvement. *Then replace the penny
with a nickel and repeat, again note which blade is best. *Then repeat
with a quarter.if you find one blade which is consistently where the
money makes thing better, then try movong the monery toward the center
and toward the edge of that blade. *if you still need more weight, use
two quarters and move then together in and out on the chosen blade.
When satisfied with the results, a little JBWeld will secure the money
where you want it to be. *Don;t forget the weight of the masking tale
will be offset by the weight of the epoxy so you don't have to worry
about that. *This is a matter of fine-tuning, you can spend 5 minutes
or 5 days doing this, it's up to you to decide what is acceptable. *It
is better to use more weight closer to the center of the blade than to
use a little weight/money on the outer edge of the blade.

Not really Bob...

If you try to use a fan that is designed and intended to be used
on the floor only by wedging it in a window, no amount of trying
to balance the blades is going to overcome the fact that you are
using a system engineered for another purpose in a way it was
never intended to be used in... Don't need any information about
the manufacturer or any of that... A floor fan is a floor fan...

Would you be offering the OP advice if he was trying to use a
ceiling fan installed vertically along a wall rather than horizontally
under a ceiling ? You can't overcome a design application
mismatch by trying to balance fan blades...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 11:59*am, bob wrote:
I bought a high velocity floor fan with metal blades (model 9220). On the
fastest setting, the fan vibrates slightly, but it has rubber bushing between
the fan and the feet, so the vibration is isolated.

However if I wedge the fan in a window to use as an exhaust fan, the whole house
starts to rumble since the fan cage is touching the window frame.

Is it common for this type of fan to vibrate due to off balanced blades? I don't
see any counter balancing weights on the fan blades. I imagine they would look
like those on a car wheel. I also don't see any holes drilled on the blades
(another way to balance)

Is there a kit for balancing fan blades?

If fans blades are not balanced, I wonder about 40 inch fans or large. Wouldn't
they vibrate so much they break themselves down?

My recent experience with "low cost" fans (esp Air King) has
been .......poorly balanced fan blade assembly & unacceptable levels
of vibration.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...n-141978..html

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 9:48 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 2, 3:55 pm, Evan wrote:

On Sep 2, 2:59 pm, bob wrote:

[...]

Fans need to be dynamically balanced as well as statically.
Putting pennies on a blade may statically balance a fan but not dynamically.

Think of it as one of the blades has slightly more"twist" than the others
and there may be your (dynamic) unbalance problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I bought a high velocity floor fan with metal blades (model 9220). On
the fastest setting, the fan vibrates slightly, but it has rubber
bushing between the fan and the feet, so the vibration is isolated.

However if I wedge the fan in a window to use as an exhaust fan, the
whole house starts to rumble since the fan cage is touching the
window frame.
Is it common for this type of fan to vibrate due to off balanced
blades? I don't see any counter balancing weights on the fan blades.
I imagine they would look like those on a car wheel. I also don't see
any holes drilled on the blades (another way to balance)

Is there a kit for balancing fan blades?

If fans blades are not balanced, I wonder about 40 inch fans or
large. Wouldn't they vibrate so much they break themselves down?

Isolate the top (and bottom?) from the window with a couple inches of soft foam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2011 12:34 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Sep 2, 11:59 am, wrote:
[...]

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...an-141978.html

cheers
Bob

I have two upper-end fans that needed balancing. Fortunately. balancing
fans is a pretty simple job. Is there some brand you recommend? It
always seemed to me price made little difference when it came to
balancing. But I've never spent more than a couple of hundred on a fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...-venting-cooli...

cheers
Bob

I have two upper-end fans that needed balancing. Fortunately. balancing
fans is a pretty simple job. Is there some brand you recommend? It
always seemed to me price made little difference when it came to
balancing. But I've never spent more than a couple of hundred on a fan.

Jim-

I have no brands to recommend.
It seems like the quality of fans has declined greatly over the years
independent of price.

Gresham's law applied to fans.

cheers
Bob