Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stripping paint from basement door.

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what
would be the preferred method to deal with this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

removal, and treatment with an orange based paint stripper. it's LOTS
easier to work on it horizontal, both in stripping and repainting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2011 7:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

If it painlessly unbolts, I'd take advantage of the waning days of
summer, de-install it (covering the hole with a tarp and a board so
people don't fall in it), and haul it to a body shop to get sandblasted
and a baked-on paint job. I assume you have a real door at the bottom?
Of course, that might cost almost as much as a new door, but it would be
prettier than anything you can do in place.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/2011 07:12 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what
would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

removal, and treatment with an orange based paint stripper. it's
LOTS easier to work on it horizontal, both in stripping and
repainting.

That is a phrase I haven't seen before - orange based paint
stripper? I'm guessing it is something less caustic and/or toxic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what
would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

removal, and treatment with an orange based paint stripper. it's
LOTS easier to work on it horizontal, both in stripping and
repainting.

That is a phrase I haven't seen before - orange based paint
stripper? *I'm guessing it is something less caustic and/or toxic?

Yup... Less nasty chemicals and more all natural products...

Its a "green" paint stripping method...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2011 4:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what
would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

removal, and treatment with an orange based paint stripper. it's
LOTS easier to work on it horizontal, both in stripping and
repainting.

That is a phrase I haven't seen before - orange based paint stripper?
I'm guessing it is something less caustic and/or toxic?

It's made, I think, from orange peels. Real "orangey" odor, and works
very nicely. I've used a lot of paint remover and only recently decided
to try citrus .. "Citrus Strip" is the name, I think. Still have to use
about the same precautions and do a final "rinse" with mineral spirits.
The biggest difference, other than odor, is that it isn't volatile so
it works longer if you want it to. For a couple of coats of paint on
metal, it should be a quick job. I stripped bentwood chairs that had
about 5 coats of paint on them. My $8 chairs turned out to be not such
a bargain, as the stuff is as pricey as the old semi-paste strippers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/11 7:02 PM, Jim wrote:

I've got a metal clamshell type basement entry door in need of
maintenance. To start with I need to strip off two layers of paint.

As this entry is away from plants and woodwork I'm curious what would be
the preferred method to deal with this?

Beware of lead paint.

Paint stripping TMC[_2_] UK diy 8 July 26th 11 01:42 PM
Paint stripping Scruffyhippo UK diy 0 July 13th 07 03:19 PM
Bilco door (basement entry) paint - scratches [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 22nd 06 05:39 PM
stripping paint from door frames [email protected] Home Repair 6 March 8th 06 02:48 AM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM