Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car hiitches easy to install!!! except

I was amazed to learn this week that a lot of passenger cars not only
have the holes drilled in the frame to attach a hitch, but they even
have nuts welded on the top of the holes so that one can just bolt the
hitch on.**

However the nut threads are often clogged with dirt and rust.

Rather than hunt for thread chaser for this particular metric size,
and rather than buying a whole set of metric taps, I thought I could
make my own thread chaser by buying a bolt the right size and grinding
a couple grooves up from the end of the bolt maybe 3/4" long.

Do you think this will work? It sounds quicker and easier than
shopping for something I will use for only 4 or 6 holes total.

The car is 11 years old and was in Florida or South Carolina almost
all its life. Probably not as rusty as some cars.

**I think that's amazing. This accounts for why they keep saying the
hitch can be attached in 30 minutes, more or less, and why those
making comments said they were able to do it in 30 minutes. .

I also think it's amazing that they go to so much trouble for
something most people never use, and don't even know about. For
example, I've read the owner's manual for the 2000 Solara convertible
I just bought and it discusses towning, but afaict says nothing about
mounting the hitch or how easy it will be. (It actually discourages
towing.)

Are they being paid by the hitch companies to drill these holes and
weld these nuts? After all, I think less than 5 percent of
passenger cars will ever have a hitch attached, expecially if you
don't count SUV's. And in some cases, he nuts are welded into a
square tube. Even if a robot does the welding, it must take a few
minutes to weld on both the side near the end of the tube and the
other side too. Or do they just weld the left and right sides?