Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylight leak, (I think I narrowed it down to glass seal, not roof)

During a heavy steady rainstorm yesterday, my skylight started to
leak through the sheetrock. I have had issues with this in the past,
but never this bad. The flashing around the skylight on the roof looks
good, so I always suspected maybe its the glass and seals.
During a lull in the action, I went up on the roof and put up a tarp,
just covering the glass part, not the flashing.

The leak did stop, so I think I narrowed it down to the glass. So now
my question is, how do I fix the seals around the glass? They do not
look bad, but obviously its leaking somewhere. Would putting some
clear silicon on it help?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 15, 5:33*am, Mikepier wrote:
During a heavy *steady rainstorm yesterday, my skylight started to
leak through the sheetrock. I have had issues with this in the past,
but never this bad. The flashing around the skylight on the roof looks
good, so I always suspected maybe its the glass and seals.
During a lull in the action, I went up on the roof and put up a tarp,
just covering the glass part, not the flashing.

The leak did stop, so I think I narrowed it down to the glass. So now
my question is, how do I fix the seals around the glass? They do not
look bad, but obviously its leaking somewhere. Would putting some
clear silicon on it help?

Might work OK, but do a bit of research with a garden hose and a
helper observing to nail down the leak area first.

Joe