Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slider window problem

My wife recently acquired her former step father's house. When he built it
in 1996, he used all slider windows from Better Built. All work OK except
one...it will not close entirely, lacks about 3/4" of doing so.

I have looked (and felt) and can find nothing to impede the closing yet
there is a definite "thunk" when it stops before closing.

I can't take the pane out as there is insufficient clearance between window
bottom and frame to do so. Anyone know if there is a secret way?

I also can't contact Better Built as they were purchased by a different
company a few years back and the new folks eschew any responsibility for
pre-2000 windows although they still use the Better Built name.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to get the thing to close? Or out?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:11:06 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Anyone have suggestions as to how to get the thing to close? Or out?

Post a picture of the inside and of the track. I can't see it from my
house.

Look above the operator sash, move the sash near middle and lift the
sash out.

The top of the track has an anti-lift stop when closed. Open part way,
then lift it out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check that the lock is not engaged.

An extrusion may have broke and the piece has fallen into the edge
space (alongside the sash's edge), if there is space.

Check out this link and run through the pictures, also:
http://www.thewindowconnection.net/c.../suppliers.htm Maybe you
can email this company/link and ask how to remove the sash.

I'm not sure how to remove one of these sashes. I would have to see/
examine it.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Every slider I have ever seen allows the sash to be removed by lifting up
and tilting the bottom out.

I can see how improper trim on a picture framed window might interfere with
that and that the lower trim piece might have to be removed.

Please do tell us the solution when you figure it out.

--
Colbyt