Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trouble removing Slider Window Glass

I have a 10 year old house with slider windows. The biggest window of
all I am unable to get out. I can lift it up but it just won't go over
the lip at the bottom. There's no plastic security tabs at the top
blocking it unless they are stuck inside the window. I am trying to
replace its rollers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:00:40 -0700, knutella
wrote:

I have a 10 year old house with slider windows. The biggest window of
all I am unable to get out. I can lift it up but it just won't go over
the lip at the bottom. There's no plastic security tabs at the top
blocking it unless they are stuck inside the window. I am trying to
replace its rollers.

If you haven't already, slide the window to the center of the frame
and try to lift it. I've had trouble like this before; resorting to a
small flat pry bar to help lift the window (careful of damage).
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

knutella wrote:
I have a 10 year old house with slider windows. The biggest window of
all I am unable to get out. I can lift it up but it just won't go over
the lip at the bottom. There's no plastic security tabs at the top
blocking it unless they are stuck inside the window. I am trying to
replace its rollers.

Are there screws at the ends of the panel (bottom) for
adjusting/removing the rollers? If so, turn them so as to lower the
panel on the rollers .. should make more room to lift it out over the track.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:00:01 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

knutella wrote:
I have a 10 year old house with slider windows. The biggest window of
all I am unable to get out. I can lift it up but it just won't go over
the lip at the bottom. There's no plastic security tabs at the top
blocking it unless they are stuck inside the window. I am trying to
replace its rollers.

Are there screws at the ends of the panel (bottom) for
adjusting/removing the rollers? If so, turn them so as to lower the
panel on the rollers .. should make more room to lift it out over the track.

A good comment. One difficulty is being able to get the sash up to
clear the track...hence my flat bar. Not ever one will be so
difficult, I've seen one sash that took two guys and a flat bar to get
out. It was a bear..one person lifting and the other person prying.

(I called it the track is to high on the wrong side)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

knutella wrote:
[...]

Same here. Had to replace rollers on my patio door (I had sliding
patio doors but wife insisted on one when I built the addition).
Finally had to call the 'window people' It took two of them, my wonder
bar plus a strong screwdriver. Obviously the subfloor had swelled,
risen or something. Ever have to do it again, a notch will be ground
at one position on the bottom track.

Harry K

Removing glass from UPVC window [email protected] UK diy 1 July 27th 06 09:16 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Cracked inner panel of dual pane glass (Caused by window film or cellular shades w/ tracks?) jay Home Repair 27 February 3rd 05 02:51 AM
Window without lintel = trouble? Peter Boulton UK diy 14 August 16th 04 09:22 PM
Trouble fixing handle/closing mechanism on double glazed window John Biddiscombe UK diy 0 September 1st 03 06:05 PM