Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Little fridge/freezer mystery

Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

Your wife had ice cream for breakfast on day 2, and left the carton
sitting out on the kitchen counter for 6 hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

Automatic defrost cycle in the freezer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ry-645472-.htm
Matt1986 wrote:

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very
difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day
3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As
far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

-------------------------------------

Hey if you are near Los Angeles contact these guys
:http://ameriproappliancerepair.com/

They do not charge estimation fee and they are also offering great
discounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt1986 wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ry-645472-.htm

Hey if you are near Los Angeles contact these guys
:hxtp://amerispamappliancerepair.com/

The rare and elusive double-spam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this like the one about the air plane that visits four
air ports?

My guess is that the soft ice cream due to defrost cycle.
The airplane question was.... well, I'll leave you
guessing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote
in message

Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard,
very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to
spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing
changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

Protected by the EPA, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Matt1986 wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ry-645472-.htm

Hey if you are near Los Angeles contact these guys
:hxtp://amerispamappliancerepair.com/

The rare and elusive double-spam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:16:46 -0400, LouB wrote:

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

Automatic defrost cycle in the freezer.

Yep. They are on a 24 hour cycle in most cases. Some refrigerators
have a way to adjust that so it happens when you are unlikely to want
[soft] ice cream.

Otherwise, you can 'move' it by unplugging the fridge for an hour at a
time until the cycle is where you want it. [I suppose that isn't
true of all fridges-- but 1984 seems like about the vintage of one
that I've done that with.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
Amana 18 cu. foot fridge from 1984, freezer on top.

Carton of ice cream in freezer. On day 1, ice cream is hard, very difficult
to spoon out. On day 2, ice cream is very soft, easy to spoon. On day 3,
ice cream is hard again, as on day 1.

Carton is in same position in freezer. Basically, nothing changes. As far
as I can tell, the thermostat is working OK.

What would cause this? Any idea??

Will

On topic, earlier this week while searching for something in our grossly
disorganized top freezer fridge I noticed a can of Coke on the top shelf
of the fridge section lying on its side against the back of the
compartment. I noticed that the bottom of that can was bulging out.

I pulled it out and the found that can of Coke was frozen solid. Then I
noticed a small bottle of apple juice, also lying on its side next to
the Coke can was frozen solid too. My fridge thermometer lying inside
one of the mid height drawers read 40 degrees eff, and the temperature
of the other things in the fridge compartment felt "OK".

I've never seen anything freeze solid in a fridge compartment before,
I'm assuming it's because they were lying right under where the fan
blown air from the freezer compartment enters the fridge compartment.

Anyone agree?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:26:42 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Automatic defrost cycle in the freezer.

Yep. They are on a 24 hour cycle in most cases. Some refrigerators
have a way to adjust that so it happens when you are unlikely to want
[soft] ice cream.

Otherwise, you can 'move' it by unplugging the fridge for an hour at a
time until the cycle is where you want it. [I suppose that isn't
true of all fridges-- but 1984 seems like about the vintage of one
that I've done that with.]

Thanks go to LouB and Jim. And others.

I didn't think the defrost would let it get that soft. Wasn't a tiny dab, was
about 1/2 of 56 oz carton, and it was very soft, close to runny.
But, in the absence of other plausable explanations ...

Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds good. Fan may have been weak, and the cold wasn't
moving around as it should.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:17:34 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:26:42 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Automatic defrost cycle in the freezer.

Yep. They are on a 24 hour cycle in most cases. Some refrigerators
have a way to adjust that so it happens when you are unlikely to want
[soft] ice cream.

Otherwise, you can 'move' it by unplugging the fridge for an hour at a
time until the cycle is where you want it. [I suppose that isn't
true of all fridges-- but 1984 seems like about the vintage of one
that I've done that with.]

Thanks go to LouB and Jim. And others.

I didn't think the defrost would let it get that soft. Wasn't a tiny dab, was
about 1/2 of 56 oz carton, and it was very soft, close to runny.
But, in the absence of other plausable explanations ...

Just to be sure-- see if it is soft at the same time every day. That
should rule out other possibilities. It *could* be a relay going bad
someplace, or an intermittent open somewhere in the circuitry.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might also be a bad termination stat.

--