Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shed roof question

I am finally getting close to putting up a shed, but the main
question mark remaining is the roof. Originally I was going to build a
rather large shed towards the back corner of our back yard. That would
sort of ruin the view out of our kitchen window, though, and I really
don't need one that large.

There is already an existing cement slab up next to the house where
the former owners must have had a small shed. I have decided to expand
this a bit, using 4x4" posts sunk into the ground. To make things
quick, I'm just going to use treated 2x12"s to make the sides and sloped
roof. After that, I can put on metal siding as I have time over the
next couple of weeks.

The roof troubles me, however. As I said, it will be a single basic
slope, higher on one side and lower on the other. Complicating things a
bit is the fact that I want the wood posts to continue on up past the
roof, so that next spring perhaps I can build a wooden deck on it. I
could transition our master bedroom's window into a door, and then we
could have a private walk out deck. The deck surface would be up above
the shed's roof.

At first I thought I would just put on a metal roof. However, I
would like the roof of the shed to stick out past the walls, which means
that the posts would have to be sticking up through the roof. That
would entail quite a bit of metal cutting, and I'm not sure I'm accurate
enough with the tinsnips, especially with corrugated metal roofing.

I'm wondering what other options could be considered? Since the roof
will be covered up by the decking, it would need to be very long
lasting. (the roof wouldn't be accessible after putting on the deck
above it)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Isn't that working things backward? I'd build deck first with roof and
use the space enclosed below as storage. Here building deck requires permit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
[...]

I built a deck about 12 years ago using composite material. I think it was
called DEX. Still good shape. I laid all the decking with deck screws from
top side. (deck is 13 x 42 and 12 foot above ground. This year I wanted to
park our van under it and of course the rain goes through the spaces between
deck boards and this made a mess on the van. Also wanted to build a 12 x 13
shed under deck. No problem. Removed deck boards to be able to add a roof
under deck to cover van and shed. Then replaced the deck boards. If I had
used the under mounting brackets to lay deck I could not have done this. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

To make things
quick, I'm just going to use treated 2x12"s to make the sides and sloped
roof.

I'm still stuck on imagining a shed built with 2 x 12s. Do you have a
sketch of the construction methodology you envision?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm still stuck on imagining a shed built with 2 x 12s. Do you have a
sketch of the construction methodology you envision?

The vertical posts will be 4"x4" or 4"x6", and the 2"x12"'s will be
the initial siding, placed horizontally. This will allow me to place
all sorts of nails and brackets on the interior, to hold loads of tools
and such. (something that would be difficult if I had plain old steel
siding)

I would have preferred to do the 2x12's vertically, but I believe it
will be much easier to do them if I start from the bottom, use a level
to make certain that the lowest one is on the horizontal, and then
simply place the next one on top of it, secure with nails, and repeat
until a side is finished.

This should create a very sturdy structure, which I will likely cover
over with steel siding by this fall. Right now I just want a "quick and
dirty" box, of sorts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2011 9:13 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

To make things
quick, I'm just going to use treated 2x12"s to make the sides and sloped
roof.

I'm still stuck on imagining a shed built with 2 x 12s. Do you have a
sketch of the construction methodology you envision?

Notch the ends and stack them like those square-section knockoffs of
Lincoln Logs? (ISTR they had to do that to avoid trademark infringement
or something.)

Only time I've seen 2x12s used for siding was inside animal pens. They
kick when they get cranky, and 5/4 won't cut it.

Yeah, I'm curious as well- 2x12s ain't cheap any more.

-- aem sends...

Shed roof question [email protected] Woodworking 51 October 31st 09 04:03 PM
Shed roof question Phisherman[_2_] Home Repair 2 September 24th 09 01:56 AM
Shed roof question fftt Home Repair 0 September 23rd 09 07:43 PM
shed roof Moxie Home Repair 3 June 7th 07 07:17 PM
Shed roof felt blown off, timber roof wet, should I... Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 December 8th 06 10:09 AM