Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Default New X-10 whole house music system

Anyone have any "hands on" experience with one of these?

http://www.x10.com/audio_distributio...tion.html?TARG

"The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub, featuring
DIGI-5 technology, a groundbreaking, end-to-end solution. With DIGI-5
technology, Analog audio signals are converted to a high quality 24-bit
digital format at the Source Input Wall, delivering high quality digital
audio from multiple sources to different rooms."

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained
(at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). So I am looking for anyone
who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it.
Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...em-644789-.htm

http://www.x10.com/audio_distributio...tribution.html

"The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub,
featuring DIGI-5 technology

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much
unexplained

Well, yes, it does leave too much unexplained and I guess the most
unexplained is how they managed to not mention once that this is NOT a
wireless system. The remote controls are (IR?) but not the actual sound
distribution / power for amplification.

As far as I can tell, DIGI-5 is a newer take on the old (non-digital)
A-Bus technology

http://www.atonhome.com/DIGI-5.html

http://www.a-bus.com/about/whatisABUS.html

They both require CAT5 cables for distribution of the audio signal /
power.

I don't have experience with DIGI-5 but I am using A-Bus throughout the
house and it's great - I love it. And if you use A-Bus, you can get away
with something like $120 worth of equipment (CAT5 cable and the speakers
extra, just like with the DIGI system) for 1 source to 4 rooms or
something like $300 for 4 sources/4 rooms. Look up Channel Vision A-bus
devices on e-Bay, they are (or at least used to be) the cheapest and I
sourced the entire system from eBay. I don't remember the actual costs
from 3 years ago but it was negligible compared to speakers / cable /
installation

Good luck!

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

On 8/3/2011 10:54 AM, Robert Green wrote:
Anyone have any "hands on" experience with one of these?

http://www.x10.com/audio_distributio...tion.html?TARG

"The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub, featuring
DIGI-5 technology, a groundbreaking, end-to-end solution. With DIGI-5
technology, Analog audio signals are converted to a high quality 24-bit
digital format at the Source Input Wall, delivering high quality digital
audio from multiple sources to different rooms."

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained
(at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). So I am looking for anyone
who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it.
Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

Don't know anything about it but I bought this about 5 years ago
(http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/4spsewvoco.html). It has
connections for 6 separate speaker systems/volume controls. I hook my
stereo up to it and my computer, CD/DVD, radio and tape player are all
hooked up to the stereo. Works great, no buzzing or scratching. You
need to wire everything up though. Only cost $150. Thats what I paid
6/2006. Still the same price, and I am very happy with it.

--
Jack
Got Change: Trickle up Poverty!
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"Robert Green" wrote in message ...

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained
(at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). So I am looking for
anyone
who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it.
Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

You are right to be suspicious, they make claims that are at best silly,
like "better than CD sound quality". That is deceptive, as you cannot add
quality to an audio signal, it can never be any better than the source so it
wouldn't matter if their system was 24-bit or 48-bit, it's not going to
sound any better than a 16-bit CD. Once a company establishes that they are
willing to fling manure like that I find it very hard to trust anything else
they have to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"DGDevin" writes:

"Robert Green" wrote in message ...

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained
(at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). So I am looking
for anyone
who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it.
Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

You are right to be suspicious, they make claims that are at best
silly, like "better than CD sound quality". That is deceptive, as you
cannot add quality to an audio signal, it can never be any better than
the source so it wouldn't matter if their system was 24-bit or 48-bit,
it's not going to sound any better than a 16-bit CD. Once a company
establishes that they are willing to fling manure like that I find it
very hard to trust anything else they have to say.

This is "X-10" the pioneer in pop up and pop under adds.
They're the reason browser pop up blockers have become a
necessity.

I wouldn't buy an X-10 product under any circumstance.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly less expensive than the X-10 deal. I'll give it a look since
that's really all I need..

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"DGDevin" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that caught my eye, too. I thought Blu-Ray audio was "better than CD
quality" using a much higher bitrate. After reading through the various
specs he

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1064

I am more confused than ever and suspect I can't hear (and might not want
to) the wonderful, full range of "better than CD." I thought they were
implying they could transmit and amplify output from a Blu-Ray device
without sound degradation.

But even if they were, the rest of the site seemed to talk in a language
I've only known vaporware vendors to speak. And that's enough to queer the
sale.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

wrote in message ...

stuff snipped

This is "X-10" the pioneer in pop up and pop under adds.
They're the reason browser pop up blockers have become a
necessity.

I wouldn't buy an X-10 product under any circumstance.

That's certainly your choice. If not them, then someone else would have
been the king of pop-unders. I was already well into the X-10 line when
they decided to go "Pop Pop" crazy.

If it's any consolation, I hear they are finally going bankrupt and part of
that is because they failed to pay the software developers who created
pop-unders for them. There is justice in the world after all!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

http://www.x10.com/audio_distributio...ribution.html?...

"The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub, featuring
DIGI-5 technology, a groundbreaking, end-to-end solution. With DIGI-5
technology, Analog audio signals are converted to a high quality 24-bit
digital format at the Source Input Wall, delivering high quality digital
audio from multiple sources to different rooms."

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained
(at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). *So I am looking for anyone
who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it.
Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

--
Bobby G.

Ive had x10 for 25 years and one thing i can guarntee about x10, poor
quality products is something they dont care about, the easiest
cheapest whole house music is apple air play going through Airport
Express, ive just set up 4 in my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

The Blu-Ray "bit-rate" is usually the package of combined audio and video.
The audio bitrate has the capability of higher resolution but is not
necessarily implemented. Definite marketing scam possibilities.