Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC Lumber

I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is
there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that
would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the
manufacturer but haven't heard anything back.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:40*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is
there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that
would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the
manufacturer *but haven't heard anything back.

Similar doesn't butter the biscuit. If it's straight PVC, which I
don't believe Trex is, then a thicker PVC cement, like the stuff used
with Azek would do the trick. If it's some sort of composite, PVC
cement might work or a polyurethane glue might be better. Wait for
the manufacturer to respond.

BTW, you did pick up the phone and call tech support, right? It's the
fastest way to get an answer by far and the tech guys are very
helpful. Email is far slower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:40*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is
there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that
would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the
manufacturer *but haven't heard anything back.

Jimmie

For what it's worth, I was looking at some vinyl trim at Home Depot
the other day ("You'll never go back to wood!" was their claim.)

They suggested either PVC cement or a "quality instant glue".

I tried some Super Glue on some scraps that I had at home and it held
well enough that the PVC cracked when I tried to get it apart. It was
a bit slippery when first mated, but very soon after it held firm.

I once built up a trim profile using vinyl to finish a window that I
installed and I used silicone adhesive and screws through the back. I
now wonder if I could have clamped it to keep it from sliding around
and used Super Glue. Seems like the "natural bend" of the vinyl trim
would have made that a bit difficult.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 2:29*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 5, 1:40*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Iknow Super glue tends to make the plastic next to the joint brittle.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:40*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Oooops forgot why I signed in. I found PVC glue works great but it
sets fast just like with the pipe. You can also do strong butt joints
that you couldnt do with wood.

I glued a couple of 6 inch scraps of brick mould together. with a
little sanding you cant see the joint. Pretty cool.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote the following:
I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is
there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that
would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the
manufacturer but haven't heard anything back.

Jimmie

Before you find a glue, maybe a piece of the PVC lumber screwed into the
undersides of the two pieces would do more to keep the two pieces
together, and all you would need is a filler between the two ends.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 8:30*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

Oooops forgot why I signed in. I found PVC glue works great but it
sets fast just like with the pipe. You can also do strong butt joints
that you couldnt do with wood.

I glued a couple of 6 inch scraps of brick mould together. with a
little sanding you *cant see the joint. Pretty cool.

That Azek glue I mentioned earlier sets slowly so you have time to
work with the stuff.

Lumber lance Woodworking 5 November 6th 07 11:01 PM
What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
PVC lumber Dave Home Repair 4 May 28th 06 09:07 PM
lumber Anthony DeLuca Woodworking 14 March 6th 06 01:04 AM
acq lumber badgolferman Home Repair 6 June 14th 05 06:36 AM