Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default PVC Lumber

On Jul 5, 8:15*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:29*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 5, 1:40*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

I need to glue the edges of PVC lumber, similar to Trex brand. Is
there a special glue for this . PVC pipe glue, silicone...ect that
would be best for the job. I have sent a couple of emails to the
manufacturer *but haven't heard anything back.

Jimmie

For what it's worth, I was looking at some vinyl trim at Home Depot
the other day ("You'll never go back to wood!" was their claim.)

They suggested either PVC cement or a "quality instant glue".

I tried some Super Glue on some scraps that I had at home and it held
well enough that the PVC cracked when I tried to get it apart. It was
a bit slippery when first mated, but very soon after it held firm.

I once built up a trim profile using vinyl to finish a window that I
installed and I used silicone adhesive and screws through the back. I
now wonder if I could have clamped it to keep it from sliding around
and used Super Glue. Seems like the "natural bend" of the vinyl trim
would have made that a bit difficult.

Iknow Super glue tends to make the plastic next to the joint brittle.

Jimmie

Oooops forgot why I signed in. I found PVC glue works great but it
sets fast just like with the pipe. You can also do strong butt joints
that you couldnt do with wood.

I glued a couple of 6 inch scraps of brick mould together. with a
little sanding you cant see the joint. Pretty cool.

Jimmie