Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to concrete countertops

Hi,

We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but learned
that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard there was
another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and is lighter. I
can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of what it was?

Thanks!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but
learned that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard
there was another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and
is lighter. I can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of
what it was?
Thanks!

Sam

there's a product called granite overlay. basically very thin sheets of
granite veneers glued onto the existing substrate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Sam Takoy wrote in
:

Hi,

We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but
learned that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard
there was another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and
is lighter. I can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of
what it was?

Thanks!

Sam

I really like our Silestone countertop (a trademark of what Consumer
Reports calls "quartz", since it is smal pieces of quartz embedded in
some kind of really durable polymer. Ours has held up extremely well
for the last 11 years, with minimal maintenance (just soap and water).
It endures easily cutting, kneading of bread doughs, and pans right of
the stove or out of the oven.

I do realize that concrete is a lot cheaper, but personally I don't like
the looks, and I would hesitate as to its durability in daily use, and
you point out the weight.

As the saying goes - get the best stuff right away and cry once, or go
for the cheaper material and experience the problems.

Of course, this is MY opinion, and YMMV!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote in
:

[...]

professionally made and installed concrete isn't any cheaper than granite or
other solid surface countertops.

diy concrete countertops are a lot cheaper, of course. i've made my own but
it's messy, heavy, and you need some specialized tools.

As the saying goes - get the best stuff right away and cry once, or go
for the cheaper material and experience the problems.

Of course, this is MY opinion, and YMMV!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"chaniarts" wrote in
:

professionally made and installed concrete isn't any cheaper than
granite or other solid surface countertops.

diy concrete countertops are a lot cheaper, of course. i've made my
own but it's messy, heavy, and you need some specialized tools.

That would make my decision real easy!!

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:48*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but learned
that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard there was
another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and is lighter. I
can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of what it was?

Thanks!

Sam

A 2-inch thick concrete counter top would weigh about 50 pounds a
lineal foot. Light weight concrete would be well under 40. That's
certainly less than an adult sitting on them, which any reasonable
cabinet should be able to easily handle. If really in doubt, a some
simple reinforcing could ease your mind.