Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Alternative to concrete countertops

Han wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote in
:

Hi,

We would like to install concrete countertop in the kitchen, but
learned that our cabinets are not made to handle that weight. I heard
there was another material that's like concrete, but it is a mix and
is lighter. I can't remember what it was. Can someone remind me of
what it was?

Thanks!

Sam

I really like our Silestone countertop (a trademark of what Consumer
Reports calls "quartz", since it is smal pieces of quartz embedded in
some kind of really durable polymer. Ours has held up extremely well
for the last 11 years, with minimal maintenance (just soap and water).
It endures easily cutting, kneading of bread doughs, and pans right of
the stove or out of the oven.

I do realize that concrete is a lot cheaper, but personally I don't
like the looks, and I would hesitate as to its durability in daily
use, and you point out the weight.

professionally made and installed concrete isn't any cheaper than granite or
other solid surface countertops.

diy concrete countertops are a lot cheaper, of course. i've made my own but
it's messy, heavy, and you need some specialized tools.

As the saying goes - get the best stuff right away and cry once, or go
for the cheaper material and experience the problems.

Of course, this is MY opinion, and YMMV!!