Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Seeking tips about a backyard swing

Dennis M wrote:
Let's say I have two large trees in my backyard that are about 61"
apart and 69" and 59" in diameter. Unfortunately there is no branch
for a swing in the perfect place higher up between them, in fact the
lowest branch is on the other side on one of the trees, and it's
about 20 feet high (I don't think my ladder could reach it even if I
wanted to).

Is there some way to affix a rope, maybe about 15 feet high, between
the two trees so I can string a swing from it? What's the best way to
do this without harming the trees and not have it slowly slip down? I
thought this might make a neat summer project. Thanks.

are there any higher branches? the higher, the better the swing. when i was
a kid, we had the fire truck come out and use their hook&ladder to fasten a
tire swing up about 50'.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Ah, a simple single seat swing. Gotcha! All this while, I was
assuming a multi-seat porch type swing. Yep, almost any good plank
should do well for your seat. I would still suggest the most weather
resistant lumber, though, as it would likely be just as easy to
obtain as a non-weather resistant lumber. Those simple seats are easy
to change, if they go bad, also.

Neither of those trees aren't dispositioned enough that a swing's good/
proper motion would be affected. I would invest in eye bolts, as
initially recommended, hang and use the swing. If there are any
issues that arise, your installation/positioning is not so complicated
that any readjustment/reposition can't be done relatively easily.

In thinking porch swing (multi-person load bearing), I initially
though fairly heavy guage linked chain. Use your common sense for
chain size.... 1/8" guage.

Sonny

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , chaniarts wrote:
Dennis M wrote:

...snipped...
we had a volunteer fire department at that time. they loved doing things
like this; community service and all. at xmas they put santa on the fire
truck and drove through all the streets of the (albeit very) small town.

That must have been the year santa didn't bring me any presents!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/20/2011 3:03 PM, chaniarts wrote:
Dennis M wrote:
I took some pics of the trees to give you a better idea. After I
stepped back and looked at it that tree on the right curves outward
slightly so I may have to string a real strong chain at the top from
tree to tree, give it a little slack, and drop the swing chains about
10 or 11 inches in from each tree.

http://www.superseventies.com/backyardtrees.html

a strong gust of wind and someone's going to get a face full of tree trunk.

Those ain't 59"-61" in diameter. Circumference, maybe.

The floating beam idea in my last post will work fine with those. As
close together as the trees are, I'd put the chains for the seat a
little further apart at top, than at seat level, to reduce chances of
somebody getting their arc cockeyed and hitting the trunk.

--
aem sends...