Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum frame and replacement window problem - window.jpg (0/1)

I have old aluminum frame windows in my bedroom and wanted to replace them with double humg vinyl
windows to keep more sound out of the nearby road. I didnt want to start taking off the siding so I
went for replacements. My aluminum frame looked like it was just glued around the inside window
frame so I started prying it out. Hours later, and not getting too far, I realized that this things
is nailed into the frame of the house, under tha original asbestos shingles, which are under the
vinyl siding. I mangles the bottom of the frame and had to hacksaw it out. Now I am screwed. I
wanted to remove the entire aluminum track but it doesnt look like I can. When I push my replacement
window against the aluminum frame, using that as a stop, it looks fine from the inside but the
outside is missing wood. Is there anything that can be done to repair this other than buying new
construction windows? I paid $500 for two windows from Home Depot and they are custom sized and I
cannot return them.

If I originally installed these against the aluminum frams, would they have been effective? I
thought aluminum carries sound. Also, there is a small 1/16 raised line of aluminum that runs down
the center of the left and right frame that would cause the window to not be flush with the entire
frame. I really made a mess of this window. I am trying to do damage control. Is there a way to do
this? Please refrain from the "why did you even try this yourself?" posts. I know I messed up. I
learned the hard way. I didnt think it would be this hard but as usual, a big can of worms fly open.

I attached a picture although I am not sure if you can see it. If not, I can email a picture to you.

Thanks

Johnny
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
PC wrote:

I attached a picture although I am not sure if you can see it. If not, I can
email a picture to you.

Take several clear, focused, relevant pictures, long shots and closeups
from inside and outside. Post to a free picture hosting site. Post links
to those pictures here. You cannot post pictures directly to a.h.r.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:17:09 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
PC wrote:

I attached a picture although I am not sure if you can see it. If not, I can
email a picture to you.

Take several clear, focused, relevant pictures, long shots and closeups
from inside and outside. Post to a free picture hosting site. Post links
to those pictures here. You cannot post pictures directly to a.h.r.

Thanks. Here are some pictures:

Outside close up http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6728/windowks.jpg

Inside. You can see the aluminum frame on the left side and where it used to be on the bottom. The
fin went in between the sill and the siding. http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6128/windowinside.jpg

Outside wide http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/389...utsidewide.jpg

Here is the mess I got myself into. I bought two windows for the same room. They are identical other
than the size. The are right next to eachother. One is on the perpendicular wall. The way I see it,
I can install the one I didnt ruin and use the aluminum frame as the stop. I just dont know if I can
salvage the one I f'd up. I guess I can get the new installation version of it but it probably will
look different than the replacement window that will be next to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PC wrote:

[...]

You made some work yourself, but it looks fixable to me.
If the rest of the window is tight to weather, you just have to fit in
a correctly sloped sill, and maybe cover the aluminum to dress it up.
White would probably do.
I would undercut the old sill a bit and make it level as possible.
Small belt sander and/or chisel.
Screw the new sill piece in. Long drill bits to countersink holes.
Plenty of caulk.
Some saw work needed to fit.
It's hard to tell the cosmetics from pictures, but you'll know what
looks decent.
Might be some plastics would work as well or better than wood.
The main thing is getting it all weather tight.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PC Guy" wrote in message
[...]

Do what Smutty said about the pictures.

I am sure that with the combined mind power and experience of this group
that you can find a way to make them work.

Colbyt