Default Window frame sealing

Hi,

I've checked out previous posts on uk.d-i-y but I'm still a bit unclear.
The original mortar sealing around my window frames (original c.1900 sash
and bay windows) has cracked and fallen out in several places, so I have
removed the mortar as part of overhauling the windows.

Looking through various posts, some people are advocating using frame
sealant, others recommend using mortar, whilst some suggest using a
combination. What should I be using for my windows?

Thanks,

Steve.
Michael Mcneil

"spam" wrote in message

The original mortar sealing around my window frames (original c.1900 sash
and bay windows) has cracked and fallen out in several places, so I have
removed the mortar as part of overhauling the windows.

Looking through various posts, some people are advocating using frame
sealant, others recommend using mortar, whilst some suggest using a
combination. What should I be using for my windows?

There shouldn't be too much space between the frame and the brickwork as
the outside lining is part of a box that holds a sliding mechanism and
space is a premium.

You may find silicon effective but if there is a larger than normal
space mortar is the more effective filler.

Phil Young

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:18:54 +0000, spa wrote:

Hi,

I've checked out previous posts on uk.d-i-y but I'm still a bit unclear.
The original mortar sealing around my window frames (original c.1900
sash and bay windows) has cracked and fallen out in several places, so I
have removed the mortar as part of overhauling the windows.

Looking through various posts, some people are advocating using frame
sealant, others recommend using mortar, whilst some suggest using a
combination. What should I be using for my windows?

Thanks,

Steve.

I'm just completing more or less the same process. I ended up with a gap
between the brickwork and the frame that varies between about 7 to 10mm.
What I did was to fill this with mortar (1:4.5 masonry cement:sand) using
a dry mixture (to avoid it flowing out of the 6 ft verticals and the
upside-down bit at the top) and a pointing trowel. This mix is
(supposedly) equivalent to the 1:1:6 OPC:lime:sand mix usually suggested.

If it eventually shrinks back and opens a crack between the window and the
mortar, I'll follow up with a bead of frame sealant.

However, the problem I have is that a hairline crack has opened between
the new mortar and the brickwork in some areas. Is this because I was
using a dry mixture over the hot weekend and it's dried out too quickly ?
Is there anything I can do about this apart from chisel it out and try
again ? Sealant wouldn't look right here.

Cheers,

Phil Young
Pete C

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:55:57 GMT, "Phil Young"
wrote:

[...]

I'd stick a strip of wood/foam etc round the frame that goes 5mm
deeper than the surface of the brick. Then when the cement dries
remove it to leave a 5mm deep channel, put a strip of PVC at the
bottom then fill with sealant to create an expansion joint.

A wood/uPVC frame will move with humidity/temperature so cement alone
will never give a good seal.

cheers,
Pete.