Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning a trigger-start torch?

My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes
out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. I
use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. Is there
something I need to clean or maintain? Do I have to buy a new one
every year or so??

Advice appreciated.
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 12:19*pm, millinghill wrote:
My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes
out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. *I
use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. *Is there
something I need to clean or maintain? *Do I have to buy a new one
every year or so??

Advice appreciated.
Theodore

What happens if you try to relight it with a flame - like a match?
That wil tell you if the gas flow is sufficient. Maybe the gas is
coming out so fast it blows the flame out somehow. Buying a new one
each year is a stupid way to do things when the spark still works o
your present unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 6:19*pm, millinghill wrote:
My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes
out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. *I
use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. *Is there
something I need to clean or maintain? *Do I have to buy a new one
every year or so??

Advice appreciated.
Theodore

The flameis "lifting off". It is caused by incorrect fuel air mix. You
need to clean the torch up, paying particular attention to the air
hole(s)/gas orifice (ie making sure it'snot parially blocked). You
need a piece of very thin wire for this. Don't go mad poking it out,
the hole can easily become enlarged again leading to problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 6:19*pm, millinghill wrote:
My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes
out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. *I
use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. *Is there
something I need to clean or maintain? *Do I have to buy a new one
every year or so??

Advice appreciated.
Theodore

The problem arises when you change the gas cylinder and some crap gets
in the works of the torch and lodges behind the gas orifice.
Never leave the torch disconnected from the cylinder, insects may get
in or other crap. If you have an airline try blowing the "wrong" way
down the gas orifice with the valve open to clear it out.

But it may need to be completely dismantled to clean properly.(if
feasable)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 1:19*pm, millinghill wrote:
My bernzomatic trigger-start torch ignites, but then the flame goes
out within 2 seconds even though gas is obviously still flowing. *I
use the torch to sweat copper pipes, but very infrequently. *Is there
something I need to clean or maintain? *Do I have to buy a new one
every year or so??

Advice appreciated.
Theodore

My ancient bernzomatic torch came with instructions to temporarily
reverse the orifice so the gas runs counter to the normal flow. This
can free any blockage in the very small diameter holes. Then put it
back to the proper orientation and it should work. However, I don't
know if this fix is applicable to newer models.

Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

need to clean the torch up, paying particular attention to the air
hole(s)/gas orifice (ie making sure it'snot parially blocked). You
need a piece of very thin wire for this. ...

What one needs is a set of torch orifice cleaning reamers...even HD has
inexpensive set.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing-torches-soldering-irons/lincoln-electric-tip-cleaner-oxygen-acetylene-torches-117469.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the orifice is clogged, the flame will be smaller, and probably
wouldn't light in the first place. *The OP has not said what happens
if he tries to light it using a match, the first step in *diagnosing
his problem.. *But if the air supply that goes aound the orifice has
dirt or debris in it, like maybe spider webs,, insufficient air will
flow and that will cause flame-out also.

Hi. I'm the OP. If I light with a match, it'll go out on its own in
a few seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

millinghill wrote:

If the orifice is clogged, the flame will be smaller, and probably
wouldn't light in the first place. The OP has not said what happens
if he tries to light it using a match, the first step in diagnosing
his problem.. But if the air supply that goes aound the orifice has
dirt or debris in it, like maybe spider webs,, insufficient air will
flow and that will cause flame-out also.

Hi. I'm the OP. If I light with a match, it'll go out on its own in
a few seconds.

It again likely is partially obstructed somewhere...all I was really
commenting on is the toolset for probing orifii is available and works
much better than the suggested wire for the purpose.

The other suggestions of some compressed air, etc., are still worth doing...

Posted to alt.home.repair

It just occured to me ask. Perhaps the propane
tank is low on gas, or nearly empty? I have had
similar moments. When I'm considering the
complicated answers, and it turns out to be a
simple problem. If you have a postal scale,
the tank itself should be about 14 ounces,
empty. For three bucks, go buy yourself a new
tank of propane and try that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"millinghill" wrote in message

Torch doesn't hold flame for more than a few
seconds after match is taken away. Nothing really
LOOKS dirty or clogged, so I'm at a loss for
what's wrong.