Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulled the trigger !

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) . Saved
enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight ...
This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built , cuz the
cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure isn't going to
hold 750 pounds !

--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) . Saved
enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight ...
This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built , cuz the
cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure isn't going to
hold 750 pounds !

Cool! Hope you enjoy your new toy. I bought my first laptop recently, still waiting for
it, 250G HD, 1.4ghz dual core, XP pro, 3G memory. I'll be able to play in the garage with
the lathe and bridgeport and stay connected to the net.

The RF45 is a good candidate for Mach3 conversion. I might end up owning one some day.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:03:53 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) . Saved
enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight ...
This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built , cuz the
cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure isn't going to
hold 750 pounds !

Congrats, Set mine on a welded base, 3x1/4 angle frame with
3/16 sides. with storage for heavy stuff underneath. Do yourself
a favor and do the fieldstrip/clean flush gearbox ect. and reassemble
before putting into service.

Lots of upgrades available if desired.
Pretty handy milldrill . ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) .
Saved enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight
... This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built ,
cuz the cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure
isn't going to hold 750 pounds !

Cool! Hope you enjoy your new toy. I bought my first laptop
recently, still waiting for it, 250G HD, 1.4ghz dual core, XP pro, 3G
memory. I'll be able to play in the garage with the lathe and
bridgeport and stay connected to the net.

The RF45 is a good candidate for Mach3 conversion. I might end up
owning one some day.

Wes

The possibilities are endless ... CNC is some time in the future ,
conversion could easily cost as much as the machine . Baby steps first !
If you haven't played with a dual-core yet , you're going to LOVE it ! How
did you manage to get XP Pro? I thought everyone had gone to Vista ...
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) .
Saved enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight
... This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built ,
cuz the cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure
isn't going to hold 750 pounds !

Congrats, Set mine on a welded base, 3x1/4 angle frame with
3/16 sides. with storage for heavy stuff underneath. Do yourself
a favor and do the fieldstrip/clean flush gearbox ect. and reassemble
before putting into service.

Lots of upgrades available if desired.
Pretty handy milldrill . ED

Thanks , Ed , mine is going on a wooden base for now at least . I'm a
cabinet maker by trade ... though I do have some 2x2-.110" square tube , and
the tools required . Might have to think about that ! How tall is your base
?
I plan on a fairly complete disassembly (everything that moves ...) ,
heard a lot about how nasty they can be . Makes it easier to get it up on
the bench too ! Also gives me a chance to fine-tune everything , tram it in
and all that . I'm really looking forward to making some chips , this will
be a perfect partner to my Wards (Logan) 10 X 30 Lathe .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

wrote:

On a ZX45 milling machine from Wholesale Tools (www.wttool.com) .
Saved enough with my new customer coupon to pay most of the freight
... This is the RF45 clone and now I gotta get that bench built ,
cuz the cheapo base cabinet I have in that location right now sure
isn't going to hold 750 pounds !

Congrats, Set mine on a welded base, 3x1/4 angle frame with
3/16 sides. with storage for heavy stuff underneath. Do yourself
a favor and do the fieldstrip/clean flush gearbox ect. and reassemble
before putting into service.

Lots of upgrades available if desired.
Pretty handy milldrill . ED

Thanks , Ed , mine is going on a wooden base for now at least . I'm a
cabinet maker by trade ... though I do have some 2x2-.110" square tube , and
the tools required . Might have to think about that ! How tall is your base
?

My base is 36"H 40"W 30"D I've considered beefing up with some
more mass, it will vibrate a bit milling a heavy cut. A solid wood
base should be fine, my base came out of the scrap pile, the angle
is from a 100 yr old bridge, the sheet from a dump box. I did make
a castor system that makes it easy to lift and roll around.

I plan on a fairly complete disassembly (everything that moves ...) ,
heard a lot about how nasty they can be . Makes it easier to get it up on
the bench too ! Also gives me a chance to fine-tune everything , tram it in
and all that . I'm really looking forward to making some chips , this will
be a perfect partner to my Wards (Logan) 10 X 30 Lathe .

The cosmoline was the worst part, I found my mine to be dead square
right out of the crate. The ways were filthy dirty but the
gear box was clean, I did replace the oil with new hydraulic oil.
Yahoo has a milldrill group with some good info.

I spent more for the tooling than the mill. Enjoy ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

If you haven't played with a dual-core yet , you're going to LOVE it ! How
did you manage to get XP Pro? I thought everyone had gone to Vista ...

XP will not be available after June 2008. Dell had an option to put it on. If it wasn't
for June being the dead line I'd probably have waited a bit longer to buy a laptop.

Wes