Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default water putty on outdoors application

I do a lot of outside restoration and find myself wanting to return to a
building material that my brother and I used to make a home for our HO
trains: water putty.

When you're faced with a severely-furrowed, water/sun-damaged surface,
will water putty stand the test of time as an exterior product? If not,
what will?

Of course I'm painting over it.

Cheers,
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 1, 7:33*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Uno wrote:
I do a lot of outside restoration and find myself wanting to return
to a building material that my brother and I used to make a home for
our HO trains: water putty.

When you're faced with a severely-furrowed, water/sun-damaged surface,
will water putty stand the test of time as an exterior product? *If
not, what will?

Of course I'm painting over it.

Cheers,

If you are talking about the tan powder that comes in a can and is mixed
with water then no, I wouldn't use it outside. *You can get the same thing
much cheaper by using setting drywall compound.

You would do much better using Bondo. *You would do even better using epoxy
thickened with whatever.

snip

Second the Bondo trick. The product has every attribute you need and
more. Epoxies are a bit much for the average DIY, though. Anybody ever
tried thinset?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2011 11:03 AM, Joe wrote:
On Jun 1, 7:33 am, wrote:
Uno wrote:
[...]

Thanks fellas, I bought some bondo at wally world for pretty cheap. I
don't think you can paint thinset.
--
Uno

Difference between (DAP) Water Putty and Setting Joint Compound? blueman Home Repair 6 June 23rd 09 08:58 PM
Patching plaster: Water putty or vinyl spackling Chris Home Repair 1 August 6th 06 07:28 AM
Outdoors TV b Electronics Repair 5 July 7th 06 05:23 PM
Need source for domestic water tank for solar hot water application. carneyke Metalworking 13 March 8th 06 01:28 PM
Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty nosredna Home Repair 3 July 8th 04 09:50 PM