Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whole house fan

I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote the following:
I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?

http://www.annarbor.com/home-garden/...-hot-to-sleep/
or...
You can buy the cover separately for any whole house fan.
You can also construct one from foam panel insulation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 28, 10:14*am, ls02 wrote:
I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?

Don't go for one of those generic fans they usually use. I have
installed two. The last one I was able to install a green plug to slow
nit down so it was fairly quiet. The current one I only use to flush
the house. I have also been known to turn the fan on high and use a
motorized blower to clean the house. Do you like the sound of an
airplane engine? That's what the fan sounds like.

Go with a lower cfm Panasonic fan. They should do the job. I think
they have a 400 cfm or thereabouts. Check noise levels of specified
fans!!!!!!

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 28, 12:06*pm, willshak wrote:
ls02 wrote the following:

I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?

http://www.annarbor.com/home-garden/...-hot-to-sleep/
or...
You can buy the cover separately for any whole house fan.
You can also construct one from foam panel insulation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I don't know your layout. I usually call these attic fans because they
are usually in the attic sucking interior air out. I would install two
of these for my application, and the motor is not at the opening
further reducing noise.

FV-40NLF1

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote the following:

I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?

http://www.annarbor.com/home-garden/...-hot-to-sleep/
or...
You can buy the cover separately for any whole house fan.
You can also construct one from foam panel insulation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I don't know your layout. I usually call these attic fans because they
are usually in the attic sucking interior air out. I would install two
of these for my application, and the motor is not at the opening
further reducing noise.

FV-40NLF1

Greg

Mine is in the ceiling of the second floor hallway between bedrooms.
It's the kind that has louvers on the bottom that open when the fan is
turned on.
Besides sucking air from the living area, it also ventilates the attic
above and I have used it many times in the summer when I had to go into
the attic to search for something, or do repairs, or make alterations.
It is a lot cooler in the attic than if I went up there without using
the fan.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zek" wrote

Go with a lower cfm Panasonic fan. They should do the job. I think
they have a 400 cfm or thereabouts. Check noise levels of specified
fans!!!!!!

Greg

400 cfm will barely clear the farts out of the bathroom. My 30" fan is
about 5000 cfm and really cools it down. Variable speed, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 28, 5:58*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"zek" wrote

Go with a lower cfm Panasonic fan. They should do the job. I think
they have a 400 cfm or thereabouts. Check noise levels of specified
fans!!!!!!

Greg

400 cfm will barely clear the farts out of the bathroom. *My 30" fan is
about 5000 cfm and really cools it down. *Variable speed, of course.

I measured the dB in the hallway with my slightly reduced speed fan.
85 dB. Typical bath fans are 100 cfm. My attic fan is probably rated
about 3000 cfm. True, I need more than 100 cfm for the bath, but I up
the cfm by using a bigger online fan which is installed in the attic.
That's the only way to get a nice quiet system by moving the fan away
from the port.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one of thse
installed in house and can recommend?

http://www.rewci.com/wholehousefans.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 07:14:36 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

I am looking for whole house fan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed in house and can recommend?

We had one of those when I was in JHS and HS. It seems to me it is
only useful after the outside has cooled off, and that can be pretty
late 8 PM to 1AM on a hot day, depending on how hot the day was and
other things.. Otherwise, when you turn the fan on it draws hot air
from the outside through the open windows making the house warm or
hot, maybe hotter than it was.

If you ran the AC during the day, it sucks all the cool air out of
your house, replacing it with hot outside air.

It probably does cool off the attic, but you dont' care aobut that, do
you?

I have a roof fan (though a gable fan would do the same thing). It
goes on maybe between 10 and noon, and blows the hot air out of the
attic, replacing it with outdoor air, which won't be as hot usually.
It turns off betweem 5 and 8 Pm, or 4 and 9, when the attic cools off
to some preset but adjustable temp.

It keeps the attic as cool as possible which lowers the amount of heat
ing the atttic which can go through the insulation in the floor of
the attic to the occupied floor below. Maybe it's possible to have
enough insulation that no heat makes it from the attic to the floor
below, but i'm not there yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess the ideal would be to have both or an either/or option. Could be
done with dampers. Cooling the attic space helps with keeping the heat down
so the AC runs less.

On days you don't need AC, but want to cool the attic and suck the heat from
the oven out of the kitchen, or otherwise change the house air quickly, a
whole house fan is ideal. Fans don't remove humidity either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 1:43*pm, zek wrote:
On May 28, 10:14*am, ls02 wrote:

I am looking forwholehousefan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed inhouseand can recommend?

Don't go for one of those generic fans they usually use. I have
installed two. The last one I was able to install a green plug to slow
nit down so it was fairly quiet. The current one I only use to flush
thehouse. I have also been known to turn the fan on high and use a
motorized blower to clean thehouse. Do you like the sound of an
airplane engine? That's what the fan sounds like.

Go with a lower cfm Panasonic fan. They should do the job. I think
they have a 400 cfm or thereabouts. Check noise levels of specified
fans!!!!!!

Greg

My understanding the whole house fan is not run continuesly. It is
turned on for some time late at night when outside temperature is cool
so together with opening windows downstairs it sucks warm inside air
out and sucks cool air in. After that it is turned off. So the noise
level is not of such a great importance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote the following:

I am looking forwholehousefan with insulated cover.Anyone has one
of thse installed inhouseand can recommend?

http://www.annarbor.com/home-garden/...-hot-to-sleep/
or...
You can buy the cover separately for anywholehousefan.
You can also construct one from foam panel insulation.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

How do you construct the cover that covers the fan when it is not
operating and opens up when it is turned on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:41:07 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:

On May 28, 1:43*pm, zek wrote:
On May 28, 10:14*am, ls02 wrote:

[...]

I installed one in our first house (no AC). In hot weather I'd leave it
running from sun-down to when we got up in the morning. On really hot days
we'd turn it back on after the house got hot enough to open back up (to keep
the attic "cool"). It was fairly loud but at a rather low frequency so wasn't
obnoxious, like a bathroom fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2011 12:07:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 13:42:06 -0500, "
wrote:

My understanding the whole house fan is not run continuesly. It is
turned on for some time late at night when outside temperature is cool
so together with opening windows downstairs it sucks warm inside air
out and sucks cool air in. After that it is turned off. So the noise
level is not of such a great importance.

I installed one in our first house (no AC). In hot weather I'd leave it
running from sun-down to when we got up in the morning. On really hot days
we'd turn it back on after the house got hot enough to open back up (to keep
the attic "cool"). It was fairly loud but at a rather low frequency so wasn't
obnoxious, like a bathroom fan.

My grandparents had a whole house fan in the hallway - single story
home. Switch located on the wall. No AC. Usually ran most of the
night in summer (hot/humid). Cooled great.

Exactly. It was a raised-ranch (never have that style again).

During the hot days when the oven was on the fan was turned on to
clear the kitchen heat. Other times a window or two were opened on
the shady side of the house, brining in 'cooler' air.