Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lifetime of RG-6 cables

How long do RG-6 cables that are not exposed to direct sunlight
usually last?

How long do RG-6 cables that are exposed to direct sunlight usually
last?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 19, 9:20*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
How long do RG-6 cables that are not exposed to direct sunlight
usually last?

How long do RG-6 cables that are exposed to direct sunlight usually
last?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
seconds to several minutes. *His favorite are the ones that
rattle. *He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

Until they snap?

Temperature is got to matter. It used to be cables would contaminate
over time, then they started making them non contaminating. Moisture
could also matter. The lead in to the old house was installed around
1970 and was not replaced until about 2000. It was past due.

In the desert retard by about 1/3, but it's only the outer jacket.
Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:

How long do RG-6 cables that are not exposed to direct sunlight
usually last?

How long do RG-6 cables that are exposed to direct sunlight usually
last?

Maybe Belden, a big manufacturer of cable, has that information, but
black RG-59 coax cable seems to last at least decades in sunlight (I'm
in Arizona); I don't know about white cable. Apparently cables are
more vulnerable to moisture and mechanical stress than anything else.
There are waterproof connectors, but electrical tape also does a good
job of sealing them, and at least the black 3M brand also lasts
decades in the sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
How long do RG-6 cables that are not exposed to direct sunlight
usually last?

How long do RG-6 cables that are exposed to direct sunlight usually
last?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--

The orange SE type is good for at least 17 years of sunlight exposure.

The black used inside is good for at least 20.

All of mine are working well. I think the orange exterior received a new
end connector about 5 years ago.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 20, 8:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

How long do RG-6 cables that are not exposed to direct sunlight
usually last?

How long do RG-6 cables that are exposed to direct sunlight usually
last?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--

The orange SE type is good for at least 17 years of sunlight exposure.

The black used inside is good for at least 20.

All of mine are working well. *I think the orange exterior received a new
end connector about 5 years ago.

Colbyt

I ended up replacing some tan twin coax cable in my house - of
indeterminate age - a few years ago. I suspect it was decades old...
it still worked, but when I tried to use a HD cable box it choked.
Ran new RG6 quad and things got better, but it wasn't until I replaced
a 4-way splitter with a 2-way that it worked 100%. I suspect that a
powered splitter would be required for more than two cable drops, or
else calling the cable company and asking them to turn up the gain a
little.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:30*am, N8N wrote:
On May 20, 8:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

@nate:

Sounds more like your original 4-way splitter didn't allow for a
bi-directional signal pathway like the new 2-way splitter does...

That is the difference between HD cable (with lots of new
features and technology which need to "phone home" in
order to work properly) and old fashioned cable where
the converter boxes were simply used to demodulate
the channels your cable company used on its system
as well as provide for any descrambling required on the
protected premium channels -- a uni-directional signal
was just fine for the way the old system worked...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On May 20, 1:03*pm, Evan wrote:
On May 20, 8:30*am, N8N wrote:

On May 20, 8:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

possibly... but I think that everything that I did helped (cleaning
connections outside w/ Deoxit; repulling cable from splitter to cable
box, and replacing splitter) each time I did something I got a couple
more channels but it wasn't until I'd done all three that I actually
got *all* channels.

nate