Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Pad versus Paving Blocks

On May 17, 7:47*am, Han wrote:
Pavel314 wrote in news:b7ad4dbf-2018-4b1e-851a-
:

This is a huge old beech tree with limbs spreading out quite a ways.
The patio wouldn't be right against the tree, it will be about four
feet away at the nearest point on the south east side of the tree.

Treasure the tree. *There aren't enough of those. *You know you can eat the
little nuts, right? *Not too many, because of the cyanide in them, but a
couple of handfuls is fine.

Trees have their most active roots at the outside drip edge off the
outermost leaves. *Make sure the soil there remains permeable and NOT
compacted. *I'd chose the most permeable materials you can find for your
patio, and build it up from the current level of the soil, as much as
possible not disturbing the roots.

--
Best regards
Han

I agree about the active root zone and also that you should be careful
about harming the tree in this project - consider (a) consulting with
a tree expert from a local university or arboretum, (b) building a
deck platform that lays on top of the ground, it would be a lot easier
too, or (c) just getting lawn furniture that won't sink in. Even
easier. However, I don't think the information about cyanide in the
nuts is correct. They may have tannins which can give a bitter taste
(like acorns) but not cyanide. I have heard differing opinions on how
good they are, some people like them and some not. May depend on
individual taste and/or the particular tree. --H