Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Price of Shingle removal, two layers vs three

On May 16, 11:14*am, Evan wrote:
On May 16, 10:45*am, "
wrote:

On May 16, 10:23*am, Harry K wrote:

On May 16, 7:18*am, Evan wrote:

On May 16, 9:17*am, pontiusj wrote:

The house is 60 years old, and this is the first time we've put a roof
on.
So the previous owners probably just kept piling on the shingles!
We're glad to have them off, but didn't know if the price was right.
Thanks for the feedback.

On May 16, 8:59*am, Home Guy wrote:

Unless you multi-posted your question to alt.home.repair (which would be
bad because multi-posting is bad) I'm going to cross-post this to
alt.home.repair because the group you posted this to
(misc.consumers.house) gets very little traffic.

pontiusj wrote:
I got a bid to put in a new roof, and it included removal of
2 layers of shingles.

Was it your decision to not remove the original shingles when the job
was done the last time?

They got to work, and it turns out there were three layers of
shingles. We got the bill, and they now want to charge us an extra
$1100 for the removal of the third layer (32 square additional tear
off at $35/square)

Is this normal? Is it really so much more work than 2 layers?

It's bad enough to shingle over the existing roof, but to do it twice is
absolutely nuts.

Based on a typical 3-bundle per square, and a weight of 80 lbs per
bundle, you've got a weight of about 2500 lbs per layer.

That means there is 5000 lbs of extra weight on your roof (more than a
full-size pickup truck).

I'd say that yes, if the roofers were going to remove your top layer and
what they though was the bottom layer as part of the original quote, and
now they want to charge you an extra $1000 to remove a third layer, then
that's not really out of line.

@pontiusj:

Dude... *What did you think, that removing another layer of roofing
isn't that much more work ? *That is 1/3rd more nails, 1/3 more labor,
1/3 more weight and volume of debris that has to be disposed of...

Construction debris costs money to dispose of properly -- your
roofer is not going to absorb that cost as it would eat away much
of the profit on the job...

This was just one of those surprises that sometimes comes up
during the process of a project -- the only way you would have
known about this in advance was to go up on the roof and remove
shingles until you hit the roof sheathing before you called out
contractors to submit bids...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

I don't see where there is much additional labor involved. *You stick
the shingle removng tool (homowners usually use a flat shovel) under
all the layers at the same time. *One doesn't remove shingles one
layer at a time.

More debris, yes. *Labor? *Not that I can see. *there would be some
but not a lot.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

+1 to that.

Clearly the contractor is entitled to an additional charge. *But $1100
sounds high to me. *There is some additional labor involved, even
if it's just hauling the debris to the dumpster, but if it costs X to
remove one layer, it surely doesn't cost 2X to remove two
or 3X to remove three. *I'd say maybe 25% more for each
additional layer would be closer.

Also, *while it might cost more for disposal, it might also cost
nothing. *Dumpster's are frequently contracted out based on
size and as long as all the shingles fit, it could cost the same
for 2 layers or 3.

No, dumpsters are by size and also the weight of the debris
removed... *You get charged based on both criteria...

Uh huh, you know this for a fact to be true everywhere?

Never seen or heard of a flat rate "dumpster"...

Do, because you've never seen one in your little world,
that means they don't exist? Go figure.

*Maybe you
are thinking of those cute "bagster" type gimmicky things
homeowners can buy at the local home center and call for
removal -- those are designed to burst right on your lawn
if you overload them...

No, I',m thinking of the one I had dropped in my driveway
and paid for.