Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level

On May 16, 3:32*pm, "
wrote:
On May 16, 3:29*am, harry wrote:

On May 15, 11:29*pm, JimT wrote:

These questions are for PV installers (if there are any here).

I just signed up for HART 1071 Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level42.0 Hour.

Here's, sort of, a course description:http://www.austincc.edu/ce/renewable/industry.php
Required text:http://www.amazon.com/James-P.-Dunlo..._athr_dp_pel_1

The course is 42 hour course that takes almost 3 months with a once a
week, 4 hour class, and lab. Do you think the typical homeowner
(slightly above avg IQ) would be able to install all aspects of a home
PV system after completing such a course, or would he still have to hire
expert help? I know the course description says: "However, the
Certificate by itself does not qualify an individual to install PV
systems." But I think they just put that in there to cover their butts.
The home PV systems I've seen don't look that complicated and, if this
course doesn't teach you all aspects, do you think it's worth the +$600
tuition and texts? My wife wants ME to install the home PV system when
I'm done with the class. My construction experience is limited to home
improvement projects like installing door, floors, walls and some
electrical work like moving switches. Very limited as far as electricity
is concerned.

Jim

I *have a *PV array fitted to my roof. *I am an electrical engineer
now retired.
Re the course.
Fitting PV panels is not a high tech process. *The main problems
revolve around securing the things to existing roofs without there
being any roof leaks *afterwards.

The actual panels and inverter are extremely high tech and much of
their workings are commercial secrets but need not concern the
installer.

If you have technical knowledge, you can learn all you need to know on
the electrical side in about an hour.

And I say once again, harry doesn't know what he's talking about.
Mr. Grabowski's post points out some of the many issues involved.
How anyone could think that a poster who has very limited
experience with electrical work would be able to acquire the
knowledge to successfully install a solar array and tie it into
the grid is beyond ridiculous.

I'm experienced with electricity, have pulled permits to do
my own work and I would get an experienced installer
to do a solar system, including the electrical portion. * There is
definitely major value in having someone that has done
this kind of install many times, knows all the code issues,
has experience dealing with the inspections, etc. *I wouldn't
try to cut corners on a DIY on a $50K system.

Among some of the most obvious traps that have been
pointed out are meeting the requirements for the various
rebates. * To get some of those requires a very detailed
application with complete *technical details on the install,
including the contractor that installed it. *There is also
the little matter of warranties that I'd look into. *It's
typical for manufacturers of a wide variety of products
that are far simpler than this to require that they be
installed by an authorized dealer, or licensed electrician,
etc for the warranty to be valid. * DIY and you may save
some $$ and wind up with no 20 year warranty.

The main skills required are that of the roofer. *(ie some one who
repairs /installs roofs) *And possibly scaffolding. *This would take
quite some time depending on the types of roofs you might encounter.
It is not as straightforward as you might think.

There is more to do about local conventions, burocrasy and regulation.

As someone else has posted, they are not viable financially unless
there is some legal intervention to subsidise their operation as has
happened in a major way in Europe. *This has led to a plethora of new
entries into the *"industry" over here. *Some of them are total
******s.

This support might disappear in the future, something you need to
consider before embarking on your new career.- Hide quoted text -

Actually wiring the things up is childs play. There will obviously be
paperwork if you want to export power to the grid (assuming it is a
grid tie system.)
Sizing the wiring and equipment is perfectly straightforward.
The instructions that come in the boxes enable anyone with a little
knowledge to do the job

Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level JimT[_2_] Home Repair 21 May 18th 11 08:39 AM
entry-level jigsaw bob UK diy 17 May 16th 06 10:36 AM
Recommendation for a supplier of video door entry systems? John Rumm UK diy 3 July 19th 05 03:29 AM
Entry level power tools [email protected] UK diy 47 March 8th 05 05:15 PM
entry level CAD program? Brian Metalworking 14 February 19th 04 01:49 AM