Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical conductor that can carry a physical load?

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SamTakoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable clipped
to an electrical cable

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 6:46*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SamTakoy" wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables, they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables, they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe

Hi,
Chandelier can weigh quite a bit. Guess it can be done with some sort of
decorative chain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2011 7:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

They sell power cable with a strain relief string built into it. Of
course it is aimed at industrial use, so it is usually thick and black.
IIRC, it also uses special crimped-on clip doohickeys on the ends. You
have to fold the strain relief strands over, and put them under the clip.

Very similar to the cords they used to use on large power tools and
floor-cleaning equipment.

A real lighting shop (not the big-box) can probably fix you right up.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 6:54*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

On May 14, 6:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables, they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe- Hide quoted text -

If you have 3 steel cables, why does the power cable need to
support anything? Just keep the 3 tight and the power just
barely snug.

I recently installed some European contemporary lights that
weighed a couple of pounds. They used a stainless steel
braided conduit, more like a braided 1/4" hose if you will. That
supported the lights, the conductors went inside. Don't
know where you'd find it but something like stainless
hydraulic hose would be similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On May 14, 6:54 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

On May 14, 6:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"SamTakoy" wrote in message

[...]

How do you adjust the height?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"SamTakoy" wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables, they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe

Use low voltage lighting and use two of your stainless steel cables as
the power carriers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 May 2011 08:41:14 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

RBM wrote:

"SamTakoy" wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables, they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe

Use low voltage lighting and use two of your stainless steel cables as
the power carriers.

Use bicycle brake or shift cables, without the housing. They are
pretty, and I'm pretty sure they conduct electricity well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Needs a hot, a neutral, and a ground. Hot and neutral are
insullated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SamTakoy" wrote in message

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and
one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no
go?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/14/2011 5:49 PM, SamTakoy wrote:

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

The tensile strength of the wire wouldn't be the problem; the problem is
ensuring that relieve any possible transfer of tension at all from to
the connections.

One could use a small diameter rod instead of the cable and feed a very
small physical wire down each (assuming this isn't going to be a
lighthouse, 16 ga would likely be adequate).

NEC doesn't address fixtures so it isn't the normal Code that's the
go-to here, but I'm sure UL would have a conniption fit over the idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2011 5:46 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable clipped
to an electrical cable

He could use ASCR cable and hang 500lbs if he uses the right size. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 6:35*pm, SamTakoy wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

I was in a restaraunt the other day where the lights hung from the
ceiling by their power cord, Lamp shades were in the form of some
pretty hefty looking copper pots. Think it was just zip cord.

Jimmie