Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Honda Engine/ Generator question

Andy asks.

I have always heard that Honda Engines and Generators are
of a very high quality, longer lasting, etc.... They also cost
2-3 times as much as Briggs, Tecumseh, etc.........

So, do any of the mechanical people here know exactly
what Honda does to their engines that makes them last
longer ? I means, specifically, what mechanical changes
do the Honda people put into their engines that make such
a drastic increase in reliability...... and cost.......??

Thanks for your informed replies.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:17*pm, Andy wrote:
Andy asks.

* *I have always heard that Honda Engines and Generators are
of a very high quality, longer lasting, etc.... They also cost
2-3 times as much as Briggs, Tecumseh, etc.........

* * *So, do any of the mechanical people here know exactly
what Honda does to their engines that makes them last
longer ? *I means, specifically, what mechanical changes
do the Honda people put into their engines that make such
a drastic increase in reliability...... and cost.......??

* * *Thanks for your informed replies.....

* * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

There is a big difference in machining and quality of metal. Probably
other things too. I have worked on Hondas and chinese generators,
motorcyles and such. The chinese brands have loose fitting nuts and
bolts and are easily stripped out because of the type and quality of
material they use for casting a part.

If you plan on using a generator often, don't skimp, get the Honda.
But, if you don't maintain it, it won't matter which one you get.
Generators need to be started at least once a month and ran for about
30 minutes to make sure the windings don't get corroded and that
gasoline passes thru the fuel system. Buy a Honda generator and
maintain it if you want a generator that will start when you need it.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote the following:
On May 4, 4:17 pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

Do the Japanese still make the Honda engines in house, or do they
outsource them to China like other Japanese products?
Isn't it is funny that Japanese products were once thought of as junk ,
and now thought of as better than US products?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2011 4:45 PM, Hank wrote:
On May 4, 4:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

Generac is building their own very impressive V twin engine now and it's
a very tough and reliable power plant. I installed a lot of Generac
systems that used the B&S Vanguard engine which is a good engine but it
had its problems. Then I installed a Generac with one of their factory
Generac engines and wow! There's a lot of difference in the impression
I get from just listening to it run. There is even a chopper built with
one of those Generac engines. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Or...bike-right.jpg

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3bt4xrg

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 6:12*pm, willshak wrote:
Hank wrote the following:

On May 4, 4:17 pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

Short answer is ...I don't know. They may outsource some of the small
engines and still build the motorcycles and autos themselves. I say
this because I have seen some very inexpensive equipment (Generators,
pressure washers and etc.) with Honda small engines on them.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:17*pm, Andy wrote:
Andy asks.

* *I have always heard that Honda Engines and Generators are
of a very high quality, longer lasting, etc.... They also cost
2-3 times as much as Briggs, Tecumseh, etc.........

* * *So, do any of the mechanical people here know exactly
what Honda does to their engines that makes them last
longer ? *I means, specifically, what mechanical changes
do the Honda people put into their engines that make such
a drastic increase in reliability...... and cost.......??

* * *Thanks for your informed replies.....

* * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

I've had a lot of honda products and they make pretty good stuff. I
don't think you can point to any one set of specifics, rather the
engineering is decent and they mare manufactured with quality
components.

I have one of those el-cheapo generators myself simply because I only
use it every few years when we have a power outage and a couple other
times when I needed power somewhere remote. Once was when I needed to
drill some holes in my boat trailer and the boat had to be off it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 3:17*pm, Andy wrote:
Andy asks.

* *I have always heard that Honda Engines and Generators are
of a very high quality, longer lasting, etc.... They also cost
2-3 times as much as Briggs, Tecumseh, etc.........

* * *So, do any of the mechanical people here know exactly
what Honda does to their engines that makes them last
longer ? *I means, specifically, what mechanical changes
do the Honda people put into their engines that make such
a drastic increase in reliability...... and cost.......??

* * *Thanks for your informed replies.....

* * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

For 2-3x the price they use top quality components through out. For
motors I hear they last longer but I really wonder, OHV engines do
last longer but no lawn maintenance people complain about their B&S or
use Honda. A motor thats runs at 3600 rpm has a life of about 2000
hours if not run full throttle, the inverter series of honda , Yamaha
etc can run as low as 900 rpm to generate a low amount of power. A 900
rpm engine can in theory last 100000++ hours. Honda inverters are
known to last 10000 hours when they are not being used to their
maximum output. Diesels last longer because of low rpm, If you want
long life cut the rpm in half and you in thoery increase life 4x.
There are 900 or 1100 rpm generators that do last 100000 hours, they
use a motor designed in england and now made in India. I forget their
name but a 5 hp unit might weigh over 100lb and has a 3ft flywheel.
For a 3600 rpm unit I dont know if they do last longer, maybe by the
design of using a larger motor so it isnt taxed as hard honda might
do. Maybe the unit is of a hevier duty design and out put is
conservative , that would make it last longer. One way to compare 3600
rpm units would be weight, a cheap 500$ gen I know weighs alot less
than a Honda, The extra metal is where its needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 9:17*pm, Andy wrote:
Andy asks.

* *I have always heard that Honda Engines and Generators are
of a very high quality, longer lasting, etc.... They also cost
2-3 times as much as Briggs, Tecumseh, etc.........

* * *So, do any of the mechanical people here know exactly
what Honda does to their engines that makes them last
longer ? *I means, specifically, what mechanical changes
do the Honda people put into their engines that make such
a drastic increase in reliability...... and cost.......??

* * *Thanks for your informed replies.....

* * * * * * *Andy in Eureka, Texas

There have been several significant improvements in IC engines in the
last twenty years in the fields of improvements in oil technology,
metalurgy and engine design.
Pistons for example are now manufactured in the best engines to be
tapered, barrel shaped and eliptical. ie "preworn"
There has also been huge improvements to piston ring technology.
Analysis of engine cooling has eliminated hot spots that caused
cooling and wear problems.
Lots of effort goes into the finish of various components to help
lubrication and also to reduce fatigue cracks appearing.

honda generator Winston Home Repair 1 July 9th 09 04:06 PM
Honda EB 5000x generator PSKI Home Repair 2 July 14th 08 02:41 PM
Generator Engine Question - HELP John W Home Repair 10 March 5th 07 09:29 AM
Honda EU200i Generator Question Rather Play Pinball Home Repair 11 August 2nd 06 05:26 PM
Honda E1500 K3 Generator Dave Home Repair 0 August 1st 06 03:55 PM