Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stanley Mitre Box

I had a lot of trim to cut and fit for a remodeling project I just
finished today. The old maple mitre box was getting a bit worn after
20-30 years so I shopped around for a new one. I found a Stanley,
model 20-800, at the Home Depot for about $50. Very impressive looking
machine. The saw looks like something you'd find in a surgical suite
and it has a couple of clever cam clamps to hold the piece firmly,
always a problem with the old maple boxes.

I was very impressed with the machine as it made the job a lot easier.
Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone shopping for a mitre box
or contemplating a project with a lot of angle cuts.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Stanley Tools, Home Depot or much
of anything, actually.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2011 9:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I had a lot of trim to cut and fit for a remodeling project I just
finished today. The old maple mitre box was getting a bit worn after
20-30 years so I shopped around for a new one. I found a Stanley,
model 20-800, at the Home Depot for about $50. Very impressive looking
machine. The saw looks like something you'd find in a surgical suite
and it has a couple of clever cam clamps to hold the piece firmly,
always a problem with the old maple boxes.

I was very impressed with the machine as it made the job a lot easier.
Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone shopping for a mitre box
or contemplating a project with a lot of angle cuts.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Stanley Tools, Home Depot or much
of anything, actually.

Paul

Sounds very much like the Stanley miter box I used as a kid (don't
remember the model number offhand)- didn't know they still sold high-end
manual miter boxes like that any more. I bought a twin to the one from
my youth at a garage sale, just as a museum piece. But if I was doing a
big job, and/or working for money, no way would I use a manual box-
'good enough' electric miter boxes are pretty cheap these days, only
about 3x what you paid for your new one. For a one-off DIY job, I'd even
be tempted to use one of the ultra-cheap HF units.

I'm a sucker for old precision-made hand tools, even though I'll
probably never use most of the ones I buy here and there. Being a cheap
SOB, though, I only buy at garage and estate sales- some of the asking
prices on ebay and such are flat-out absurd.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 May 2011 22:27:01 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I have a high-end elbow-powered miter box, as well (don't think it's a
Stanley, though). I don't use it much since I bought one of the "ultra-cheap
HF units (10" - $99), which has since been replaced by a 12" Bosch.

I'm a sucker for old precision-made hand tools, even though I'll
probably never use most of the ones I buy here and there. Being a cheap
SOB, though, I only buy at garage and estate sales- some of the asking
prices on ebay and such are flat-out absurd.

I'm a sucker for precision-made power tools. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:26*am, "
wrote:
[...]

GIVE IT UP FREAK....WE DONT CARE WHAT YOU'VE GOT BRAGGADOUCHE.

PATECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:34*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:
On May 2, 12:26*am, "

wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2011 22:27:01 -0400, aemeijers wrote:
On 5/1/2011 9:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I had a lot of trim to cut and fit for a remodeling project I just
finished today. The old maple mitre box was getting a bit worn after
20-30 years so I shopped around for a new one. I found a Stanley,
model 20-800, at the Home Depot for about $50. Very impressive looking
machine. The saw looks like something you'd find in a surgical suite
and it has a couple of clever cam clamps to hold the piece firmly,
always a problem with the old maple boxes.

I was very impressed with the machine as it made the job a lot easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 3:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 12:34*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:

On May 2, 12:26*am, "

wrote:
[...]

TGITM- Hide quoted text -

Now that Navy Seal Team 6 has some time on their hands perhaps they
could go looking for The Ghost In The Machine.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?
I KEEPING ONE OF THEIR SUBS ENERGIZED & READY ON THE SIDE.
PAT ECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 3:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 12:34*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:

On May 2, 12:26*am, "

wrote:
[...]

could go looking for The Ghost In The Machine.- Hide quoted text -

Shouldn't be hard to find; just look in his mom's basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:27:28 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

On May 2, 3:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 12:34*am, The Ghost in The Machine
wrote:

On May 2, 12:26*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Hang out at welfare office. He'll come to you.

plidoweInformation wanted about Stanley No. 360 miter box and 30" x6"mated Stanley back saw dennis[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 6th 08 05:41 AM
Mitre box Arthur 51 UK diy 3 July 18th 07 07:40 PM
Help with B&Q Mitre saw Mark UK diy 13 October 29th 05 07:29 PM
60 deg cut on Mitre Saw scott Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:15 AM
My New Mitre Saw Sam Berlyn Woodworking 4 November 27th 04 08:10 PM