Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stanley Mitre Box

On Sun, 01 May 2011 22:27:01 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 5/1/2011 9:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I had a lot of trim to cut and fit for a remodeling project I just
finished today. The old maple mitre box was getting a bit worn after
20-30 years so I shopped around for a new one. I found a Stanley,
model 20-800, at the Home Depot for about $50. Very impressive looking
machine. The saw looks like something you'd find in a surgical suite
and it has a couple of clever cam clamps to hold the piece firmly,
always a problem with the old maple boxes.

I was very impressed with the machine as it made the job a lot easier.
Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone shopping for a mitre box
or contemplating a project with a lot of angle cuts.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Stanley Tools, Home Depot or much
of anything, actually.

Paul

Sounds very much like the Stanley miter box I used as a kid (don't
remember the model number offhand)- didn't know they still sold high-end
manual miter boxes like that any more. I bought a twin to the one from
my youth at a garage sale, just as a museum piece. But if I was doing a
big job, and/or working for money, no way would I use a manual box-
'good enough' electric miter boxes are pretty cheap these days, only
about 3x what you paid for your new one. For a one-off DIY job, I'd even
be tempted to use one of the ultra-cheap HF units.

I have a high-end elbow-powered miter box, as well (don't think it's a
Stanley, though). I don't use it much since I bought one of the "ultra-cheap
HF units (10" - $99), which has since been replaced by a 12" Bosch.

I'm a sucker for old precision-made hand tools, even though I'll
probably never use most of the ones I buy here and there. Being a cheap
SOB, though, I only buy at garage and estate sales- some of the asking
prices on ebay and such are flat-out absurd.

I'm a sucker for precision-made power tools. ;-)