Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are they thinking

Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new power
gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR,
and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts
turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year. That's
real money.

If my light bill is $36.00 a month, by unplugging the power strip my
bill drops to $20.00 a month.

Think of all the entertainment systems in the country!? .37 KWH times
200,000,000; that's 74 million KWH!!!!

We are certainly not trying to save energy by manufacturing devices that
consume power when turned off. It's Nuts!

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2011 9:10 AM, LSMFT wrote:
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new power
gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR,
and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts
turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year. That's
real money.

If my light bill is $36.00 a month, by unplugging the power strip my
bill drops to $20.00 a month.

Think of all the entertainment systems in the country!? .37 KWH times
200,000,000; that's 74 million KWH!!!!

We are certainly not trying to save energy by manufacturing devices that
consume power when turned off. It's Nuts!

They call them power vampires:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

says if off, average savings would be 0.08% per year.

I turn off what I can but cable TV boxes if turned off need time to
reboot and it is a PITA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:10:02 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new power
gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR,
and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts
turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year. That's
real money.

If my light bill is $36.00 a month, by unplugging the power strip my
bill drops to $20.00 a month.

Think of all the entertainment systems in the country!? .37 KWH times
200,000,000; that's 74 million KWH!!!!

We are certainly not trying to save energy by manufacturing devices that
consume power when turned off. It's Nuts!

40 watts = 55 cents per day? That would be 57 cents/kwh. Where do
you live?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

I turn off what I can but cable TV boxes if turned off need time to
reboot and it is a PITA.

And, for at least one of my TVs, if I cut off power, then I need to
reprogram it. PITA.
ANybody care weigh in on whether I should turn my computer all the
way off then boot up again the next morning?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/25/2011 8:57 AM, LSMFT wrote:

but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

But they aren't truly unused; they're saving preprogrammed data and the
other aforementioned annoyance of slow on-time, etc., etc., etc., ...

If you want to try it and see how you like it the other way, put them on
a power strip and turn 'em off and see how that goes for a while.

There is no free lunch; you're paying for the convenience and the
facility to have those kinds of entertainment devices ready at hand when
wanted. (I'll not discuss whether that's a need or not since I'm the
type who's yet to program the VCR (which hasn't seen more than one or
two uses in its life) and don't have DVD other than the drive in this
machine which has, as far as I know, never had a DVD played in
it...altho I might be getting ready for the first; I bought a Leigh
dovetail jig the other day and I just _MIGHT_ try to watch a little of
the instructional DVD... ).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, LSMFT wrote:

OOPS! I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong
but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Only $.059/kwhr!? Again, where do YOU live? We pay $.14 kwhr.

As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. Clock radio,
night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell
button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah
blah.... ad nauseum.

It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. The
power companies love it.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, LSMFT wrote:

OOPS! *I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong
but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Only $.059/kwhr!? *Again, where do YOU live? *We pay $.14 kwhr.

As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. *Clock radio,
night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell
button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah
blah.... ad nauseum.

It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. *The
power companies love it. *

nb

satellite boxes espicall DVRs are power hungry, turn off a satellite
receiver only turns off the modulator, leaves everything else on.

a easy test...... feel the item if its wearm its wasting energy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
LSMFT typed:
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about
this.
I just check my power usage on my entertainment center
with a new power gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player,
satillite DVR, and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40
Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48
a year. That's real money.

If my light bill is $36.00 a month, by unplugging the
power strip my bill drops to $20.00 a month.

Think of all the entertainment systems in the country!? .37 KWH times
200,000,000; that's 74 million KWH!!!!

We are certainly not trying to save energy by
manufacturing devices that consume power when turned off.
It's Nuts!

It's the users and purchasers that insist on the "instant on" features on
everything. No one is willing to wait any more. I'm not sure I trust the
accuracy of your measurements, but the gist of y our comments are true.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-631828-.htm
DA wrote:
LSMFT wrote:

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite
DVR, and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes
150 watts turned on.

Many of these devices are never actually off. Cable TV boxes and I
presume your satellite DVR are only turning the front panel display
off (or simply switching it for a digital clock). They are constantly
in communication with the mothership to check if you're still paying
for the channels you expect to come on at a click of a button.

I had occasion to repair the power supply of a DVD player a while back. Turned
out, the power switch only turned off the power LED.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
Kurt Ullman typed:
In article ,
Frank wrote:

I turn off what I can but cable TV boxes if turned off
need time to reboot and it is a PITA.

And, for at least one of my TVs, if I cut off power, then
I need to reprogram it. PITA.
ANybody care weigh in on whether I should turn my
computer all the way off then boot up again the next
morning?

Depends on whether you believe that turning hard drives on/off noticeably
shortens their lives due to excessive wear patterns vs being green. My PC,
monitor and laser printer all consume 5 to 7 watts when in standby/off
modes.
If I'm goign to turn the computer off overnight I'd use Hibernate mode so
that when you come in next morning there's no boot up to wait for. Turn
computer on and everything is simply read in from storage on the hard drive
instead of booting.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, Twayne wrote:
Depends on whether you believe that turning hard drives on/off noticeably
shortens their lives due to excessive wear patterns vs being green.

This used to be the case a long time ago when HDDs were clunky and
prone to failure. No longer. I run my computer all day long and turn
it off every night. It's over 9 yrs old.

If anything is gonna fail, it's the monitor. I still use old CRTs and
I've been through 3 (all acquired used, mind you) in the last 3 yrs.
My next will be a LCD/LED/whatever.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, wrote:

OOPS! I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong
but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Only $.059/kwhr!? Again, where do YOU live? We pay $.14 kwhr.

As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. Clock radio,
night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell
button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah
blah.... ad nauseum.

It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. The
power companies love it.

nb

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new
power gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite
DVR, and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes
150 watts turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year.
That's real money.

I "had it" when I bought a GFCI outlet and saw they added an LED light
which was always on. I went around my house and put switches on
everything. And I bought power strips which have just an on/off switch
and no lights (hard to find). I totally turn off everything when not
in use.

So no little lights on all over the house any more. FYI - Almost EVERY
single electrical thing I had plugged in was "always on"! They have
replaced on/off switches with electronic push button switches on
EVERYTHING!

And I just remodeled my bathroom. The GFCI outlets above the sink are
on their own circuit and switched on via a double pole switch for the
light above the sink. So light off and the GFCI outlets are off as
well. Then I wired in a switch in parallel and this switch is next to
one of the outlets. This switch can be turned on to leave the GFCI
outlets on all the time - for if someone wants a night light.

GFCI outlets always use a little electricity, even the older kind with
no light. You can design your electrical system so these are switched
off when not in use.

When I redo my kitchen, there will be a separate wall switch next to
the light switch to kill power to the outlets. That will also cut
power to all those gadgets with clocks and so forth!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, wrote:

OOPS! I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong
but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Only $.059/kwhr!? Again, where do YOU live? We pay $.14 kwhr.

As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. Clock radio,
night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell
button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah
blah.... ad nauseum.

It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. The
power companies love it.

nb

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

the national avg is almost 12, so 14 doesn't sound out of line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, LSMFT wrote:

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

Eight thousand feet in the CO Rockies. It was $.12 back in SF Bay
Area. Not cheap, out West.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, *wrote:

OOPS! *I had it programed wrong, .59 instead of .059. The money is wrong
but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down the
toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Only $.059/kwhr!? *Again, where do YOU live? *We pay $.14 kwhr.

As for the vampire thing, start walking thru yer house. *Clock radio,
night light, electric toothbrush, cordless phone, lighted doorbell
button and light swithces, microwave, digital clock on stove, blah
blah.... ad nauseum.

It's positively shocking how much crap we have leeching pwr 24/7. *The
power companies love it. *

nb

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.- Hide quoted text -

in Maine in the winter, the power wasted is not really "wasted", it
helps keep your house warm...

but in the summer if you are using A/C, then its more like DOUBLY
wasted, you pay for the heat and pay again to pump the heat out.

So turn all that stuff off in the summer but don't worry about it in
the winter.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, leonard hofstadter wrote:

the national avg is almost 12, so 14 doesn't sound out of line

Probably not, but we use propane whenever possible. That can be
expensive, too, at as high as $200 mo in dead of Winter. Then go 6-8
mos on one tank. I love it here in Rockies, but cold costs!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cut power to some stuff too long like satellite and cable boxes and NO
SERVICE will greet you when you try to use it again, and DVR boxes
must be powered on to record when needed. Some things deauthorize
themselves when off line too long

although I agree theres way too much waste!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:57:26 -0400, LSMFT wrote:
The money is wrong but the watts are right. It's still ****ing
millions of KWH down the toilet for devices that are off, in
unused mode.

That's OK, KWH are easy to find. I can see several now, right from where
I'm sitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2011 11:13 AM, Red Green wrote:

satellite boxes espicall DVRs are power hungry, turn off a satellite
receiver only turns off the modulator, leaves everything else on.

a easy test...... feel the item if its wearm its wasting energy

Those DVR's are killers. Nothing but a TV& DVR. The DVR was at like 60w
when "off" on a watt-rat.

Of course, in the winter, it adds to the heat in the house, which is
good in most parts of the country. Agreed it's not as efficient as
using those watts to run a heat pump, but the cat really likes to
use the DVR warming tray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:32*am, (DA) wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/What-are-they-thinking-63182...

DA wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR,
and stereo are burning 40 watts. * 40 Watts TURNED OFF! *Takes 150
watts turned on.

Many of these devices are never actually off. Cable TV boxes and I presume
your satellite DVR are only turning the front panel display off (or simply
switching it for a digital clock). They are constantly in communication
with the mothership to check if you're still paying for the channels you
expect to come on at a click of a button.

A DVR wouldn't be of much use if it were turned off, would it? The
whole
point to how most people use them is that at least part of it is on
24/7
to be able to record shows that are scheduled. I get a season's pass
on my Tivo and it records programs that match my requirements
whenever they happen to be on. If it were sitting there powered down
all together, it would be close to useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2011 2:35 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 4/25/2011 11:13 AM, Red Green wrote:

satellite boxes espicall DVRs are power hungry, turn off a satellite
receiver only turns off the modulator, leaves everything else on.

a easy test...... feel the item if its wearm its wasting energy

Those DVR's are killers. Nothing but a TV& DVR. The DVR was at like 60w
when "off" on a watt-rat.

Of course, in the winter, it adds to the heat in the house, which is
good in most parts of the country. Agreed it's not as efficient as using
those watts to run a heat pump, but the cat really likes to use the DVR
warming tray.

If your DVR has an onboard cooling fan (wish mine did), ya may wanna
discourage that. DVRs are basically purpose-built specialty PCs, subject
to the same failure modes. I killed two before I realized it had no fan,
and needed to live up on blocks to get enough air underneath so the hard
drive wouldn't self-destruct. PCs do not like being full of cat hair. Go
ahead, ask me how I know that.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:

notbob wrote:

-snip-
Only $.059/kwhr!? Again, where do YOU live? We pay $.14 kwhr.

-snip-

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

..14 is cheap.g I've been paying National Grid in NY between 14 &
16 for at least 3 years. That is the actual cost. During that
time the 'advertised' cost has gone all over the board from 4.7 to 13
cents. In the last 3 months they tell me the rate has gone from 8.3
to 5.7. My cost has gone from 15.6 to 15.1.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-04-25, leonard hofstadter wrote:

the national avg is almost 12, so 14 doesn't sound out of line

Probably not, but we use propane whenever possible. That can be
expensive, too, at as high as $200 mo in dead of Winter. Then go 6-8
mos on one tank. I love it here in Rockies, but cold costs!

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline
accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this
year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote the following:
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:10:02 -0400, wrote:

[...]

wrong but the watts are right. It's still ****ing millions of KWH down
the toilet for devices that are off, in unused mode.

Every night, I turn off the computer, then switch off the power strip
that controls my computer and all the peripherals, like monitors,
printer, scanner, external HD, speakers, and even desk lights.
There is a power strip that shuts off everything when the computer is
shut off, but I don't have one.

..--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote
ANybody care weigh in on whether I should turn my computer all the
way off then boot up again the next morning?

I have two. One is shut down when not in use for a long period, say more
than a few hours. It is usually used once a day soit is shut down for the
other 18 to 20..

My main computer is never turned off, but I put it in sleep mode. Given
that it shuts down the fans and HDD, it has to save some power. Takes about
10 seconds to come back up. I can go for weeks between re-boots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new power
gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite DVR, and
stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes 150 watts
turned on.

I'd like to see a breakdown on the components. I'd guess the DVR takes the
bulk of the power. My TV says it takes less than a watt on standby, but the
DVR is always looking to do something, such as record or wake up. Problem
is, if you power it down, the reboot is very long and the channel guide is
lost for some time. Not to mention some recordings will never take place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote

Central Maine Power. It's .059819 a killowatt after the first 100
kilowatts. The first 100 is a flat rate of about $8.45

Where is it at .14?

Are you sure you are counting both the delivery and generation rates?
http://www.maine.gov/mpuc/electricit...ry_rates.shtml

Average Delivery Rate (¢/kWh)
Residential
6.76 ¢/kWh

Standrd offer for generation is
$0.084906

so, your total is closer to 15.25¢

Here in CT I'm paying about 16.5¢ total.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline
accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this
year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]

Jim

My oil boiler was replaced two years ago. It is almost 40% savings from the
old one of 30 years. In 2010 calendar year, I burned 336 gallons less than
I'd have used before. Savings about $1200. It is easily paying for itself
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote

I "had it" when I bought a GFCI outlet and saw they added an LED light
which was always on. I went around my house and put switches on
everything. And I bought power strips which have just an on/off switch and
no lights (hard to find). I totally turn off everything when not in use.

That LED on the GFCI is probably consuming a penny a year at the most.
Depending on what you turned off, the payback on the power strips can be
decades long, if at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
news
[...]

Errr... you Googled it??? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 22:42:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline
accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this
year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]

Jim

My oil boiler was replaced two years ago. It is almost 40% savings from the
old one of 30 years. In 2010 calendar year, I burned 336 gallons less than
I'd have used before. Savings about $1200. It is easily paying for itself
now.

I only use 4-500 gallons of oil. If I could cut $1200 from my bill
I'd be a happy camper.g

Mine's a furnace & I replaced a 30 year old Sears with a new Aire-Ease
in 2009. I now believe in the soot test. The last time the guy
tested that old Sears he said it was still 85% efficient. The guy
who did the final setup on the new one said it was 87%. My oil
consumption for the last 2 winters was just slightly less than
previous. [Actually, the "degree days per gallon number for 2008 and
2009 was 16.3 both years-- but the furnace is a lot quieter, didn't
shut down unexpectedly & haven't lost any sleep over which part would
go that I couldn't find or build]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

My propane has gone crazy this winter because of a single pipeline
accident over a year ago. Last year it averaged $3.40/gal-- this
year $4.39. [and while I'm looking- oil was $2.87, now $3.61]

Jim

My oil boiler was replaced two years ago. It is almost 40% savings from the
old one of 30 years. In 2010 calendar year, I burned 336 gallons less than
I'd have used before. Savings about $1200. It is easily paying for itself
now.

Did you look at those changes based on heating degrees days? A bud
was so happy one year that his costs went down so much from one year to
the next after he put in the new furnace. Sorta hated to mention that
winter was one of the warmer ones on record (grin).

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 25, 7:20*pm, willshak wrote:
LSMFT wrote the following:

wrote:
[...]

I have a UPS that does that. plug the CPU into the "master" slot and
it'll shut down all the peripherals with the CPU, or even if the CPU
goes into a reduced power mode from inactivity.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

That LED on the GFCI is probably consuming a penny a year at the
most. Depending on what you turned off, the payback on the power
strips can be decades long, if at all.

So therefore I should not reduce my electric load for things which
only cost a penny? Perhaps invest the money in the stock market
instead?

Note pennies add up. I've got my electric bill down to $32 a month by
removing lots of those "pennies"! And while other people were
investing their money in the stock market in past years, then losing
it, I was reducing my electric load. Seems like a good investment to
me being as I will have a low electric bill for the rest of my life.
Excellent retirement plan if you ask me!

FYI someone in the U.S. government I was reading about thought the
same way as you. He said cutting a certain "silly" program would only
save a few million a year, so worthless to bother cutting it, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

ANybody care weigh in on whether I should turn my computer all the
way off then boot up again the next morning?

I'll vote, but will likely find myself in the minority again on this
one. Absolutely, positively turn it off every night. Heat is the *enemy*
of all things electronic, and turning it off at night will prolong your
computer's life substantially.

The hard drive life issue may have had a sliver of credibility 25 years
ago, but it's a non-issue now, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

PCs do not like being full of cat hair. Go
ahead, ask me how I know that.

My cat, an avid hunter who averaged 1 kill per day, was paying undue
attention to my computer one day, so I opened it up and found a very
live gopher inside. I hate to think what the computer might have looked
like if the gopher had lived inside it for a week or so. Cat prey might
have wreaked more havoc than cat hair.