Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default What are they thinking

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Talk about wasted oil imports, or coal or CO2 how about this.

I just check my power usage on my entertainment center with a new
power gadget.

Sitting idle, turned off, not in use my tv, dvd player, satillite
DVR, and stereo are burning 40 watts. 40 Watts TURNED OFF! Takes
150 watts turned on.

That adds up to .55 cents a day, $16.79 a month, $201.48 a year.
That's real money.

I "had it" when I bought a GFCI outlet and saw they added an LED light
which was always on. I went around my house and put switches on
everything. And I bought power strips which have just an on/off switch
and no lights (hard to find). I totally turn off everything when not
in use.

So no little lights on all over the house any more. FYI - Almost EVERY
single electrical thing I had plugged in was "always on"! They have
replaced on/off switches with electronic push button switches on
EVERYTHING!

And I just remodeled my bathroom. The GFCI outlets above the sink are
on their own circuit and switched on via a double pole switch for the
light above the sink. So light off and the GFCI outlets are off as
well. Then I wired in a switch in parallel and this switch is next to
one of the outlets. This switch can be turned on to leave the GFCI
outlets on all the time - for if someone wants a night light.

GFCI outlets always use a little electricity, even the older kind with
no light. You can design your electrical system so these are switched
off when not in use.

When I redo my kitchen, there will be a separate wall switch next to
the light switch to kill power to the outlets. That will also cut
power to all those gadgets with clocks and so forth!