Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drafting tool question

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Basically put, it's a map/blueprint measuring wheel just like this
http://www.draftingsteals.com/21928.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in :

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

I believe you're thinking of a "planimeter".

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1728&bih=885&tbm=is ch&sa=1&q=cartographer+planimeter&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&o q=

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:54*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

http://www.engineersupply.com/plan-measurers.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 3:48*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Steve B" wrote :

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled..
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

I believe you're thinking of a "planimeter".

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1728&bih=885&tbm...

--
Tegger

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.

A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the
area enclosed by a perimeter.

btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I
bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 3:48 pm, Tegger wrote:
"Steve B" wrote
:

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

I believe you're thinking of a "planimeter".

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1728&bih=885&tbm...

--
Tegger

The OP is looking for a "wheeled scale", not a planimeter.

A planimeter is for "measuring" (actually, mechanically summing) the
area enclosed by a perimeter.

btw... if anyone needs one, I'd be willing to loan mine out. I
bought one on ebay several years ago, I actually needed one.

cheers
Bob

I googled wheeled scale and didn't see anything that looks like what I need.
The planimeter looks like it. What I envisioned is a pen shaped device with
a small roller wheel at the tip that one would trace every line they wanted
to measure on a plan. I would use it on arial photographs to measure
sidewalk lengths on irregular sidewalks within HOAs. Not the straight
sidewalks, but those that snake all over the place. I currently use Google
Earth Tools Ruler Path, but sometimes I have lots of little lines, and no
long paths.

$60 is a little spendy, but I may spring for one, or try to catch a used one
somewhere.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 10:54*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

I think these are what you want. :-)
http://www.geodetic.com.au/category607_1.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/17/2011 4:54 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Try opisometer

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 10:18*am, bud-- wrote:
On 4/17/2011 4:54 PM, Steve B wrote:

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled..
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Try opisometer

That's a new word on it for me, but it looks like it is the most
accurate. Thanks for posting it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote in news:iohh87$fh1$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 4/17/2011 4:54 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Try opisometer

That's the one.

I had the "meter" part correct, but had forgotten the first part of the
word. The images from my Google search led me to believe that "planimeter"
was the full word.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:54:24 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need one of those pen contraptions that you roll over blueprints and
aerial photos that then give a numerical value to the distance traveled.
What are they called, and what's a good supplier of them?

The box for my K&E is labeled "MAP MEASURE, D1741". On the
back of the measure itself is impressed, "Hamilton Watch
Company". I bought it new, sometime around 1940, and paid
$4.50 for it. It has inch and cm scales.

--
croy

Drafting tool question Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 17 April 18th 11 07:41 PM
Drafting machine? Steve Turner[_3_] Woodworking 29 October 25th 09 02:30 AM
CADD Drafting tinman2cu Home Repair 1 June 26th 07 12:44 AM
CADD Drafting tinman2cu Home Ownership 0 June 25th 07 05:02 PM
Iscar Parting Tool and Tool Block Question... Steve Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 08:48 AM