Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screws for aluminum?

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan wrote:
I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

ace hardware has Al screws and bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 11:17*am, Ivan wrote:
I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. *What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

SS sheet metal screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

***
Ivan,

Use good quality aluminum pop rivets. They will not react galvanically with
the aluminum doors.

DO NOT USE stainless rivets or screws as they will galvanically react with
the aluminum doors and corrode the aluminum out.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2011 11:17 AM, Ivan wrote:
I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

stainless steel

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:17*am, Ivan wrote:
I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. *What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

Aluminum screws can be had from www.mcmaster.com

But steel or stainless steel can work too.

I have a 30 year old shower door enclosure (gold anodize) that was
installed & assembled using electro-galvanized steel screws.
The screws lasted very well but did show some rust.

I replaced them with SS screws.

Yes, SS & aluminum are VERY incompatible, considering their relative
locations on the galvanic series.
BUT there are other factors involved in the phenomena of galvanic
corrosion.........

water chemistry, duty cycle, actual conditions and most importantly,
the "area rule".
SS screws infrequently placed in a relatively large area of aluminum
will not trigger catastropifc galvanic.
However, the reverse........ aluminum screws in a large area of
SS ,coupled with water rich in salts
and you've got a situation where aluminum screws will disappear in now
time.

I would use the SS screws & not worry.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 10:53*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 4/15/2011 11:17 AM, Ivan wrote:

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. *What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

stainless steel

--
Steve Barker

NON MAGNETIC stanless screws!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 6:41 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 15, 10:53 pm, Steve wrote:
On 4/15/2011 11:17 AM, Ivan wrote:

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

stainless steel

--
Steve Barker

NON MAGNETIC stanless screws!!

hmmmm. Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

hmmmm. Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

--
Steve Barker

What is your definition of "REAL"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:
...snipped...
hmmmm. Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

You left the "M" out of MAny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:11:44 -0500, "SRN" wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

hmmmm. Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

--
Steve Barker

What is your definition of "REAL"?

Non-magnetic, of course. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 10:53 pm, Steve *wrote:
On 4/15/2011 11:17 AM, Ivan wrote:

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. *What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

stainless steel

--
Steve Barker

NON MAGNETIC stanless screws!!

hmmmm. *Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

--
Steve Barker

I thought non-magnetic vs magnetic SS's had been discussed in AHR.

Most 300 series stainless steels are typically non-magnetic (as are
200 series)

400 series is magnetic

However 300 series stainless steel can exhibit magnetic behavior
(quite strongly) if subjected to heavy cold working, buffing or
polishing.
Variations is alloying elements can cause this as well.

I learned this via an embarrassing experience about 25 years ago.
A stamped metal part made of 305 stainless and black oxide finished
that I had made was magnetic.

I called the supplier to complain that "obviously" the part had been
made of carbon steel by mistake.
He explain to be that the part was indeed 305 & the heavy cold working
had induced the magnetic behavior.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan posted for all of us...

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

Some posters have suggested pop rivets. If you use them make certain they don't
a steel mandrel.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2011 10:21 AM Bob Villa spake thus:

On Apr 15, 11:17 am, Ivan wrote:

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and
rusted out. What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I
haven't seen aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

SS sheet metal screws.

Amen to that. My choice too. Forget AL screws; too soft. And rivets? get
serious.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang