Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Screws for aluminum?

On Apr 16, 12:21*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 4/16/2011 6:41 AM, bob haller wrote:

On Apr 15, 10:53 pm, Steve *wrote:
On 4/15/2011 11:17 AM, Ivan wrote:

I need to refasten an aluminum splash shield to the bottom of my
aluminum shower door. Previous screws were steel, I guess, and rusted
out. *What shall I use to minimize galvanic action? I haven't seen
aluminum sheet-metal screws around.

stainless steel

--
Steve Barker

NON MAGNETIC stanless screws!!

hmmmm. *Any REAL stainless IS non magnetic.

--
Steve Barker

I thought non-magnetic vs magnetic SS's had been discussed in AHR.

Most 300 series stainless steels are typically non-magnetic (as are
200 series)

400 series is magnetic

However 300 series stainless steel can exhibit magnetic behavior
(quite strongly) if subjected to heavy cold working, buffing or
polishing.
Variations is alloying elements can cause this as well.

I learned this via an embarrassing experience about 25 years ago.
A stamped metal part made of 305 stainless and black oxide finished
that I had made was magnetic.

I called the supplier to complain that "obviously" the part had been
made of carbon steel by mistake.
He explain to be that the part was indeed 305 & the heavy cold working
had induced the magnetic behavior.

cheers
Bob