Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Code question - conduit from weatherhead to meter

Hey folks,

I'm upgrading my house (in Los Angeles) to 200A service and I am
trying to find out some info on code requirements for the conduit run
from the weatherhead to the meter main.

The city requires me to put the new meter on the back of the house.
The easiest way to hook up the service drop is a straight 2" GS
conduit going up the outside wall but, as this is a 2 story house, I
think this will look really ugly (even if I paint it). I would prefer
not opening up a wall to run the conduit so I thought that, maybe, we
could run the conduit down the side of the house (which is out of
sight), use a right angle 2" GS conduit bend to bring it horizontal
and then use an LB to go around the corner to the back of the house
and run GS into the side of the meter main. The distance from the
meter to the corner of the house is about 3' and the distance from the
corner to where the vertical conduit would be is about 2-3'. The
horizontal run of conduit would be something like 3-4' off the ground.

I know that I need approval from both the city's DWP and the building
inspector (in L.A. these are separate agencies) and I'm waiting for a
return call from the DWP.

I tried to get hold of a building inspector to ask if this was OK and,
after some effort, did manage to speak to one very briefly. He told
me that the horizontal run needs to be incased in concrete, then said
he had others to help and hung up on me. I don't understand this
requirement. I have looked at the city's DWP Electric Service
Requirements and it only mentions concrete encasement in underground
runs. I'm trying to understand this requirement but have not been
able to find anything online. Maybe the inspector thought I would be
running the horizontal run underground? Can anyone give me some
insight into this? A website or code section cite would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steel Conduit Question Doug White Metalworking 56 July 12th 10 02:52 PM
conduit question Fred UK diy 10 January 7th 10 09:56 PM
Electric conduit question Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 4 June 30th 09 04:56 AM
Replacing Electrical Weatherhead ? Tube Audio[_2_] Home Repair 4 July 18th 08 12:05 PM
conduit question for garage Chris Friesen Home Repair 5 October 22nd 06 09:58 AM