Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix leak in DWV plastic pipe

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 12:32*pm, ls02 wrote:
I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try 5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no
one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 12:01*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 20, 12:32*pm, ls02 wrote:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try *5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no
one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so

I think the OP may be referring to a building inspector runing a
presssure test, where they block the sewer line and pressurize the
rest of the line to see if there are any leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 12:32*pm, ls02 wrote:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try *5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no
one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so

I think the OP may be referring to a building inspector runing a
presssure test, where they block the sewer line and pressurize the
rest of the line to see if there are any leaks.

Correct. I need to fix this to pass plumbing inspection. The sipping
leak is in vent pipe that never sees water anyway.

I wonder if silicon calk may seal the leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 12:58*pm, Red Green wrote:
ls02 wrote in news:87ad25b7-197e-4822-8a5a-
:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

Run the dabber of PVC cement around the joint might help if it's in the
right position. May or may not pass whatever the "test" is.

Few more details (underground, vertical/horizontal) may help. Pic may get
you some fine suggestions.

Connection is vertical above ground. The problem with putting PC
cement on joint is that it almost immediately drips out of the joint
and does not stay where the leak is.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"ls02" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 12:58 pm, Red Green wrote:
ls02 wrote in news:87ad25b7-197e-4822-8a5a-
:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

Run the dabber of PVC cement around the joint might help if it's in the
right position. May or may not pass whatever the "test" is.

Few more details (underground, vertical/horizontal) may help. Pic may get
you some fine suggestions.

Connection is vertical above ground. The problem with putting PC
cement on joint is that it almost immediately drips out of the joint
and does not stay where the leak is.

I have successfully mixed "sawdust" from cutting pipe mixed with joint
cement to form a paste thick enough to stay but thin enough to press into
the gap. Be sure to drain the water out the pipe and let it dry first before
trying this method. Another plus is that it visually blends in the other
joint cement and doesn't look like a patch as silicone will to the
inspector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:32 pm, ls02 wrote:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when
tested (sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I
cannot cut the pipe fittings because multiple fittings are
connected to each other. The leak is a couple of drops of water
seeping through the joint. Is there way to fix this without
replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try 5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no
one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so

I think the OP may be referring to a building inspector runing a
presssure test, where they block the sewer line and pressurize the
rest of the line to see if there are any leaks.

Correct. I need to fix this to pass plumbing inspection. The sipping
leak is in vent pipe that never sees water anyway.

I wonder if silicon calk may seal the leak.

Hold a vacuum cleaner (with a rag seal) to the pipe so the pressure inside is
reduced. Then apply cement to the leak. The vacuum will draw the cement into the
leak. Remove the vacuum before the glue all gets sucked in. Let it cure, and
test again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 2:56*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
ls02 wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:32 pm, ls02 wrote:

[...]

test again.- Hide quoted text -

has the inspector seen the leak? if so you might have to replace the
fittings, you can use ferncos to minimize how much must be replaced
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 2:18*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 20, 2:56*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

ls02 wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:32 pm, ls02 wrote:

[...]

fittings, you can use ferncos to minimize how much must be replaced- Hide quoted text -

My vote is for fine pipe cuttings sawdust mixed with pvc glue pressed
into the area of the leak, with at least a 1-hour curing time before
applying any pressure. If you can put a heated air flow over the
area, so much the better. A hair dryer could be used, just don't get
so hot you melt anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2011 12:32 PM, ls02 wrote:
I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

Apparently it is not a big deal. My house (new at the time) had a leak
in a rat’s nest of DWV connectors. The plumber put some stuff around
the outside of the leaking joint. It has been fine for ten years. I
don’t know what he used. But, I suspect a visit to the home center or a
plumbing shop will yield the solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

I have dlne it in the past by cleaning the joint VERY well (I flushed
it with acetone in a syringe and blew it dry) and then brushing
Sluyter ABS 55Y glue into the joint. Any standard yellow ABS solvent
cement should do the job. It wicks in and welds the joint (just like
the original assembly)

Mabee I just got lucky - but it worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:43:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02
wrote:

On Mar 20, 1:39Â*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Mar 20, 12:01Â*pm, Mikepier wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:32Â*pm, ls02 wrote:

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try Â*5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no
one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so

I think the OP may be referring to a building inspector runing a
presssure test, where they block the sewer line and pressurize the
rest of the line to see if there are any leaks.

Correct. I need to fix this to pass plumbing inspection. The sipping
leak is in vent pipe that never sees water anyway.

I wonder if silicon calk may seal the leak.

Wont stick properly to the ABS. You need a solvent glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 9:32*am, ls02 wrote:
I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

Don't mess around with trying to flow PVC glue into the joint.

use this stuff, it works

http://www.polywater.com/bonduit.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 20, 11:32*am, ls02 wrote:
I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested
(sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the
pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other.
The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is
there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

Back in 1978 I had a 4" sewer line that leaked at a 4 x 4 x 3 joint
where the installer failed to use enough cement.. The fix was to wrap
it with fiberglass tape (several layers) using a 2 part epoxy. Still
in service, bone dry. Draw your own conclusions.

Joe