Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky Faucett

My almost new (Oct. 2010) kitchen faucett started dripping today.
First, I took off the aerator and washed it out because there is a lot
of sediment in our water. I had not noticed it dripping before. When
I put it back on it started -- it's a very slow drip. I hate to call
a plumber for this but am afraid it might get worse. There is a "new"
type screw that holds it in place....one of those that does not use an
old fashioned screw driver but the "L" shaped ones ... I don't have
one that fits. If I could find one that would fit into the hole
there, would I be able to stop the drip by tightening it? I don't
want to make it worse -- and have no idea why it would start. Any
help would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:44:49 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

My almost new (Oct. 2010) kitchen faucett started dripping today.
First, I took off the aerator and washed it out because there is a
lot of sediment in our water. I had not noticed it dripping before.
When I put it back on it started -- it's a very slow drip. I hate
to call a plumber for this but am afraid it might get worse. There
is a "new" type screw that holds it in place....one of those that
does not use an old fashioned screw driver but the "L" shaped ones
... I don't have one that fits. If I could find one that would fit
into the hole there, would I be able to stop the drip by tightening
it? I don't want to make it worse -- and have no idea why it would
start. Any help would be appreciated.

Help us by giving a brand name and model number. A link to the faucet
manual will help just a little........

Or just call the manufacturer. Most faucetts I see these days have a lifetime
warrantee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My almost new (Oct. 2010) kitchen faucett started dripping today.
First, I took off the aerator and washed it out because there is a lot
of sediment in our water. I had not noticed it dripping before. When
I put it back on it started -- it's a very slow drip. I hate to call
a plumber for this but am afraid it might get worse. There is a "new"
type screw that holds it in place....one of those that does not use an
old fashioned screw driver but the "L" shaped ones ... I don't have
one that fits. If I could find one that would fit into the hole
there, would I be able to stop the drip by tightening it? I don't
want to make it worse -- and have no idea why it would start. Any
help would be appreciated.

Help us by giving a brand name and model number. A link to the faucet
manual will help just a little........

Brand name, model number, link to the manual? It's a tap.
No wonder the VC kicked your arse.
No wonder the Koreans kicked your arse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The faucett is a Delta Model #64283
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 19, 5:02*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

snip

No wonder the VC kicked your arse.
No wonder the Koreans kicked your arse.

WTF does this have to do with a leaky faucet? Off your meds again?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

My almost new (Oct. 2010) kitchen faucett started dripping today.

I think Leaky Faucett was Farah Fawcett's youngest child. At least
until he was toilet trained.

First, I took off the aerator and washed it out because there is a lot
of sediment in our water. I had not noticed it dripping before. When

Nonetheless, sand in the aerator won't make it leak.

I put it back on it started -- it's a very slow drip. I hate to call
a plumber for this but am afraid it might get worse. There is a "new"
type screw that holds it in place....one of those that does not use an
old fashioned screw driver but the "L" shaped ones

Allen wrenches. Those screws have hexagonal holes, with six flat
sides.

... I don't have
one that fits.

If that's what it is, you can buy a set for 3 dollars. But I don't
know if that will help. Loosening or removing the set screw enables
you to remove the handle, but that does no good in iteself. It gives
one a better look at the knurled ring that is just above the smooth
part of the faucet and just below the handle, but you can perhaps get
a good grip on that ring wihtout removing the handle.

Identify whether it is the cold or hot that is dripping.

TURN OFF BOTH the cold and hot water.

Remove the ring. But a it with rubber parts for your model faucet and
replace the two black rubber cups and the springs underneat them.
Keep track of the ones you remove, which was left and which was right.

If perchance you don't fix this the first time, and you have to do
this again, you can use the side that WAS working on the side that
wasn't. You should probably throw away the rubber part from the side
that was dripping.

Delta is very misleading imo opinion, when they say there are no
washers. There are still rubber parts that have to be replaced. It
doesn't matter to me what they are shaped like or what they are
called. "Washerless" was meant to imply maintenance-free and they
aren't. Nonetheless I have one two. One eventually wouldn't stop
drippign even when I replaced the seals and springs a second or third
time, and replaced the ball twice too, qith a nylon one and then a
metal one. But I don't like the style of the more expensive ones
and I ended up with a Delta again.

If I could find one that would fit into the hole
there, would I be able to stop the drip by tightening it?

Not by doing only that.

I don't
want to make it worse -- and have no idea why it would start.

If it doesn't last forever, it has to start dripping some time. When
would be more likely than now?

Any
help would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. I heard that was Farah's grand father, LD Fawcett.

You know, Leaky Depends. LD for short.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

My almost new (Oct. 2010) kitchen faucett started dripping
today.

I think Leaky Faucett was Farah Fawcett's youngest child.
At least
until he was toilet trained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for sending the web site .... I did find it useful. I may
add Allen wrenches to my collection but I really don't think
tightening it will help ... the drip appears to be cold water but the
faucet is the kind where it's hard to tell because there is just the
one handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky faucetttttt

Dottie wrote:

The faucett is a Delta Model #64283

http://www.deltafaucet.com/media/Pro...RevB_178d5.pdf

That L-shaped tool is an Allen wrench, also called a hex key, for an
old, old style of screw head that's been common for decades and
decades. You can buy a whole set of hex keys in a fold-up unit from
real hardware stores, Sears, and auto parts stores:

http://s3.thisnext.com/media/230x230...t_9C8C457F.jpg

Several minutes before loosening the screw, apply some penetrating
oil, like PB Blaster, Kroil, or Liquid Wrench, in case the threads
have seized from corrosion. WD-40 doesn't work as well.

I think your Delta faucet uses a ceramic cartridge valve, and it
rarely leaks unless a piece of grid passed through it just at the
moment it was opened or closed, but it probably has some rubber o-
rings to seal it to the faucet body, and they may be leaking. You're
covered by a lifetime warranty, and Delta will provide repair parts
for free if you phone them. BTW, Delta voids warranties if you use
non-Delta parts, and for models that use rubber cup seals instead of a
ceramic cartridge, their cup seals last a lot longer than those from
other companies anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:

I may add Allen wrenches to my collection but I really don't think
tightening it will help ...

That screw does nothing but hold the handle to the faucet, and
overtightening it can strip the threads in the soft metal around it.

the drip appears to be cold water but the
faucet is the kind where it's hard to tell because there is just the
one handle.

In the case of single-handle faucets it doesn't matter because a
single cartridge valve handles both hot and cold. It's possible the
leak is caused by the cartridge valve not being screwed in tightly
enough, in which case removing the top cap (use a leather strap wrench
so the finish won't be scratched) and then _slightly_ tightening the
big hex nut at the top may be enough to stop the leak. If it doesn't,
turn off both the hot and cold supplies to the faucet and loosen that
hex nut so the cartridge valve can be removed. Check any o-rings
around that cartridge valve and their sealing surfaces because maybe
simply cleaning some junk will seal it. The o-rings should be
lubricated with silicone grease (plumbing supplies have it), but
liquid dishwashing detergent will work in a pinch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

I misread this. That is, I didnt' finish reading the sentence. I
jumped to the conclusion that you were asking if you could stop the
drip by loosening it and removing the handle.

Yes, as someone said, I think Delta does have cartridge faucets now.
It depends on how old yours is. You posted the model number but not
time now to look it up. I don't know what the difference is anyhow;
I don't know what cartridges are like or if the presence of one means
there are no springs and seals. A place that sells replacement parts
for Delta, usually in bubble packs hanging from a hook, will have a
list of what models each pack is meant to refurbish.

Hey you gusy, even the ones that use cartridges have to be refurbished
once in a while, don't they? By buying a new cartridge.

She's not entitled to a warranty replacement until after she replaces
the cartridge and it doesn't fix it, isn't that right?

I don't

want to make it worse -- and have no idea why it would start.

If it doesn't last forever, it has to start dripping some time. *When
would be more likely than now?

*Any

help would be appreciated.

Thank you for sending the web site .... I did find it useful. I may
add Allen wrenches to my collection but I really don't think
tightening it will help ... the drip appears to be cold water but the
faucet is the kind where it's hard to tell because there is just the
one handle.

This paragraph is not in answer thot the post it quotes!!

You can tell which is drippign by turning off the hot or the cold
water but not both, underneath the sink. YOu have to turn off both
to do any repairing.

Shower faucett valve question ?? James Home Repair 5 November 12th 09 02:56 AM
Damn Plumbing - Damn Faucett Packing Red Green Home Repair 4 April 4th 09 08:09 PM
Leaky TRV VisionSet UK diy 3 December 22nd 06 01:18 PM
Shutting off leaky faucett Gregory Toomey Home Repair 3 March 29th 05 01:49 PM
Leaky tap John Smith UK diy 14 September 1st 04 09:58 PM