Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Top-loaders the new incandescent bulb

Wall Street Journal "Opinion."
Blame the gov because they can't get their clothes clean.
They need a nanny who washes clothes too.
I bought a new GE top loader about 3 years ago when the 30 year old
Kenmore stopped working.
Just asked my wife if it got the clothes clean as well as the Kenmore.
The answer was "Yes."
She added, "You do have to know how to wash clothes. You know, how
much detergent to use, when to use bleach. You know."

--Vic

------------------

The old owners of our house did not have much taste and little knowledge
about tools and appliances. They had a 9 year old 3.2 cubic foot GE top
loader that used 45 to 55 gallons of water per load and never spin all the
water out. The 5 cubic foot electric dryer they had took about 50 minutes
to dry a load of 4 demin jeans and 5 cotton tee-shirts. And with winter in
these parts about 4-5 months, you have to use that dryer or dry clothes
inside (which we sometimes do)

This top loader was replaced with a GE 4 cubic foot front load washer that
uses between 14 to 17 gallons of water. We know the usage because we have a
water softening system that gives us flow rate and volume stats. So lets
see. 1/3 the water (and energy to heat the water) for 20% more laundry.
Made by the same brand. The GE gas dryer which is 7 cubic foot is natural
gas. It takes about 39 to 45 minutes to dry a load and coasts us about 47
cents a load to dry, based on gas and kwhr charges in southwestern Ontario.
Cost of gas hookup was $215.

We've not a problem with clean clothes in this house since switching to the
front load and gas dryers. Front loaders use 1/3 the soap so clothes last
longer (soap is harsh to clothing) and we use cold water except for the
whites. Cold is gentler on clothes.

Our washer is prepare to wash years of cloth diapers which estimates will
save us about $1500 in disposable diaper costs. Our washer and dryer pair
were $1400 last October (Canadian dollars). Who knows the savings from
making our clothes last longer with gentler and more efficient machines.

I sold the old pair for $75 to some landlord.

I can provide model numbers of our NEW Ge washer and dryer is anyone wants
to research them.