Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Nuclear Crisis in Japan

DGDevin wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message

Let me say that I know nothing about Nuclear Power Plants. But from
the reports I have read/heard, the major problem was the fact that
both back-up water pumping stations (both the diesel generator
operated pump and battery operated pumps failed. Why don't they have
a steam turbine/steam reciprocating pump as back-up? The reactor
produces steam, steam runs the pumps. All is good.

The reactors are designed to automatically SCRAM (shut down) in an
emergency situation like a major earthquake. And there is no
guarantee that the tsunami wouldn't have disrupted regular power
production just as it did the backup power. If the backup systems
and their plumbing had been tougher that would probably have been
sufficient, but for some bizarre reason this whole plant was insanely
vulnerable.

As are, probably, many others.