Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Nuclear Crisis in Japan

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

But from the reports I have read/heard, the major problem was the
fact that both back-up water pumping stations (both the diesel
generator operated pump and battery operated pumps failed.

They cant have failed completely otherwise they couldnt
have pumped sea water into the reactors and they did.

Among other things they have been using fire engines to pump water into the
reactors, so it's possible that all the pumps built into the plant are in
fact down.

They are, that is the entire problem, pretty much. So far, from afar
it looks like the major possible design flaw was placement of the
back-up electric systems in a low-lying area. The tsuanami came through,
ripped out the generators and the battery back-ups.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mar 17, 9:34*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Among other things they have been using fire engines to pump water into the
reactors, so it's possible that all the pumps built into the plant are in
fact down.

* *They are, that is the entire problem, pretty much. *So far, from afar
it looks like the major possible design flaw was placement of the
back-up electric systems in a low-lying area. The tsuanami came through,
ripped out the generators and the battery back-ups.

That is why I suggest steam driven pumps as back-up, no electric and
the reactor produces steam to drive the pumps. Sounds like a great
back-up plan to me. Of course, nothing is perfect.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Hank wrote:
On Mar 17, 9:34 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Among other things they have been using fire engines to pump water
into the reactors, so it's possible that all the pumps built into
the plant are in fact down.

They are, that is the entire problem, pretty much. So far, from afar
it looks like the major possible design flaw was placement of the
back-up electric systems in a low-lying area. The tsuanami came
through, ripped out the generators and the battery back-ups.

That is why I suggest steam driven pumps as back-up, no electric and
the reactor produces steam to drive the pumps. Sounds like a great
back-up plan to me. Of course, nothing is perfect.

Except for the fact that the reactors shut down in a earthquake.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mar 17, 11:19*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Hank wrote:
On Mar 17, 9:34 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Among other things they have been using fire engines to pump water
into the reactors, so it's possible that all the pumps built into
the plant are in fact down.

They are, that is the entire problem, pretty much. So far, from afar
it looks like the major possible design flaw was placement of the
back-up electric systems in a low-lying area. The tsuanami came
through, ripped out the generators and the battery back-ups.

That is why I suggest steam driven pumps as back-up, no electric and
the reactor produces steam to drive the pumps. Sounds like a great
back-up plan to me. Of course, nothing is perfect.

Except for the fact that the reactors shut down in a earthquake.- Hide quoted text -

It's my understanding that at least some of these reactors have
exactly
what was suggested. That is a turbine driven pump system that uses
the
remaining heat inthe reactor after the control rods are inserted to
pump
cooling water. Then they have a diesel generator driven pump system
and then a battery power source as well.

Once again, until there is an investigation, it's just pure
speculation
to suggest what could have been done differently, because we
don't know the exact sequence of events or what went wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 3/17/2011 9:34 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In articlew7adnQ5beb_gPRzQnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@earthlink .com,
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

But from the reports I have read/heard, the major problem was the
fact that both back-up water pumping stations (both the diesel
generator operated pump and battery operated pumps failed.

They cant have failed completely otherwise they couldnt
have pumped sea water into the reactors and they did.

Among other things they have been using fire engines to pump water into the
reactors, so it's possible that all the pumps built into the plant are in
fact down.

They are, that is the entire problem, pretty much. So far, from afar
it looks like the major possible design flaw was placement of the
back-up electric systems in a low-lying area. The tsuanami came through,
ripped out the generators and the battery back-ups.

Mind you that replacement diesels have been there for some time. The
major flaw is not that something failed, it is that it can't be fixed
once it does. And the battery backups were used so they must have been
intact.

Ever been to a big concert? They have mega generators suitable for
powering everything. That stuff can be gotten and moved one way or another.

Jeff