Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Han Han is offline

Default Nuclear Crisis in Japan

"DGDevin" wrote in
m:

"Han" wrote in message

That link says (as far as I could read) that 2 people had been
contaminated
with low level contaminants. That means that some radioactive dust
flew off and attached to their clothing or something like that.
Geiger or whatever counters are very sensitive and will distinguish
between ~30 counts per minute and 60 cpm. Therefore it is real easy
to find something that low. Riding the subway in New York or flying
cross country gets you more radiation. Keep perspective!!

That why the USN moved a carrier battle group from downwind of the
plant, because there was less radiation than a ride on the NY subway?

I think you are misreading. What I was trying to say is that measurable
and significant are adjectives that do not by themselves mean dangerous.
Right now I am significantly sniffing and coughing, but that doesn't mean
I am about to die from pneumonia.

Of course, if you can move from a position where you "catch" radioactive
particles to one where you don't, then it is totally proper and advisable
to change course.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
news
Cumulative off-site toll of Japan earthquake/tsunami nuclear
"disaster" as of 3/17/11:
killed: 0
injured: 0
sickened: 0
property damaged due to radiation from plant site: none

So you've volunteered for duty with the crews working on the reactors? Let
us know when you leave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2011 3:41 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:
Cumulative off-site toll of Japan earthquake/tsunami nuclear
"disaster" as of 3/17/11:
killed: 0
injured: 0
sickened: 0
property damaged due to radiation from plant site: none

What fantasy channel do you get your "information" from?

There were serious injuries as early as the 12th. It is so radioactive
at #4 that they couldn't get close enough to use the crowd control water
cannons, nor have they been able to get close enough to accurately drop
water.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 3/17/2011 3:41 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:
Cumulative off-site toll of Japan earthquake/tsunami nuclear
"disaster" as of 3/17/11:
killed: 0
injured: 0
sickened: 0
property damaged due to radiation from plant site: none

What fantasy channel do you get your "information" from?

There were serious injuries as early as the 12th. It is so radioactive
at #4 that they couldn't get close enough to use the crowd control water
cannons, nor have they been able to get close enough to accurately drop
water.

Radiation at these levels doesn't kill instantly - no, it's much more slow
and gruesome a death. There's a film made of the "suicide" workers at
Chernobyl that will a) convince you that there are selfless human beings in
this world and b) that Russians breeds some awfully tough human beings
willing to "do what it takes" to help their countrymen. I saw excerpts of
it, watching people working desperately to contain the disaster, knowing
that they were going to die horrible deaths. Russian filmmaker Vladimir
Shevchenko died suffering from the radiation he exposed himself to filming
the workers that gave that "last full measure" of themselves containing the
Chernobyl disaster. I, for one, am glad we've never gone "toe to toe" with
the Russkies. They certainly have "game." Za zdorovie!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

On 3/17/2011 3:41 PM, Caesar Romano wrote:
Cumulative off-site toll of Japan earthquake/tsunami nuclear
"disaster" as of 3/17/11:
killed: 0
injured: 0
sickened: 0
property damaged due to radiation from plant site: none

What fantasy channel do you get your "information" from?

There were serious injuries as early as the 12th. It is so radioactive
at #4 that they couldn't get close enough to use the crowd control water
cannons, nor have they been able to get close enough to accurately drop
water.

Jeff

That's why he used the weasel word "off-site." IOW, no one not in the
area has been killed or injured. True of most accidents and disasters
both natural and man-made.