Posted to alt.home.repair

Default computer Surge Suppressor-protector question

hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 11:48*am, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

Hibernation is not turning it off and you need power to the PC. It is
the lowest power setting though. If you want to turn off the surge
suppressor your will need to "shut-down".
Posted to alt.home.repair

..
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

"marco polo" wrote in message
I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

Your computer will be protected from surges the same with the supressor off
or on. Maybe slightly beter with it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17*pm, marco polo wrote:
.
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark

MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:33*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"marco polo" wrote in message

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

Your computer will be protected from surges the same with the supressor off
or on. * Maybe slightly beter with it off.

How do you turn the surge protector off without turning off all
equipment that is downstream from the protector?. I would leave it on
and shut everything downstream off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2011 2:06 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
.
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark

MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

I've had my desktop connected to the switched on/off side of my surge
protector for years, and have using hibernation routinely as well. I
always turn off the surge protector power switch after hibernating the
desktop, sometimes for more than a day. I'd estimate that no more than
a few times a year the system does not "wake up" properly and requires a
restart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Bob Villa typed:
: On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco polo wrote:
:: .
:: Hibernation, according to MS:
:: saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed
:: to Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I
:: suppose.
::
:
: MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.
:
:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Where does that link say that? Inwhich link it offers? All I see is:
"
Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While
sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of
power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk,
and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows,
hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation
when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and
won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

"

They don't say so, but that's the same state as if you did a Shut Down.
Things like "Wake from LAN", "wake from USB device", etc, are still
possible. As long as the PC has power, those things are possible. To
eliminate those possibilities, you must actually remove power from the PC
plug, and can be done while a machine is IN hibernation. Everything it needs
to come out of hibernation is stored in the registry and on-disk. Nothing
resides in memory that's needed with Hibernation. You can kill the power
from the surge protector and nothing untoward wll happen; I do it all the
time when I have several windows open and things in process. When I come
back, it goes to the hard drive and resets everything back exactly as it was
when it Hibernated (and power was removed from the PC if that occurred).
Just be certain Hibernation is complete before you kill power. And assuming
you have sufficient space allocated to Hibernate too.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ibernation-fre...

I've had my desktop connected to the switched on/off side of my surge
protector for years, and have using hibernation routinely as well. *I
always turn off the surge protector power switch after hibernating the
desktop, sometimes for more than a day. *I'd estimate that no more than
a few times a year the system does not "wake up" properly and requires a
restart.

Only reporting the source...you do as you like, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
.
[...]

Hmm,
Is the BIOS on your desktop up-to-date?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In om,
dadiOH typed:
:: marco polo wrote:
::: hi all,
:::
::: If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
::: should the Surge Protector remain on,

It doesn't really matter but it can be a handy place to remove power
completely from the PC if that's what you want to do.

::: or can I turn it off also?

Up to you.

::: Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?
::
:: Yes. There are other conduits to the computer besides AC.

Well, that's kind of a useless post; what ARE they?

They are things like ground interruptions surging or browning, taken away by
a good surge suppressor. With the surge protector, you are adding a bit of
protection to that of the computer but in a way it lessens the effects of
overall protection by putting surge suppression ckty in parallel, which
means, since it's not resistive, that the timing stretches out before they
fire because each one takes on the surge unless/until it gets high enough to
let some surges get through. The thing to remember is never to put surge
suppression in series because it puts the active components in parallel.
That's probably not intuitive but if you draw out two surge suppressor
schematics in series, you'll note that the protection devices end up in
parallel and overall suppression abilities are thus compromised.

Most importantly: There are things like the telephone or modem lines where
surges etc. can get into a PC easily. Those are particularly susceptible to
power surges and lightning hits more often than the AC line is, in fact, if
the outside wiring is above ground anywhere between you and the telco; which
is the usual case.
There are a few others but they become mundane compared to the above.
Always disconnect the phone/DSL/ADSL etc. connectors whenever you are trying
to protect the computer. Only optical cable has any kind of native
protection against surge & lightning hits.
You are much more likely to experience surge/lightning than you are
someone hacking into your machine unless you carelessly designed forms or
other user inputs for your web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:48 am, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

Hibernation is not turning it off and you need power to the PC. It is
the lowest power setting though. If you want to turn off the surge
suppressor your will need to "shut-down".

Hibernation DOES turn off the computer. By turn off, I mean removes power in
exactly the same way as "powering down" the computer. The power consumption
difference between hibernation and shut-down is zero; they are identical in
this regard.

Now "powering down," whether by front-panel switch or by Hibernation, does
not remove all power from the computer. The computer's power supply does
maintain a trickle voltage to maintain the internal clock (in case the
battery fails) or, in some cases, wake-on-lan.

You can completely "power-down" the computer by flipping the switch on the
computer's power supply - if it has one - on the back of the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:36:56 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Bob Villa typed:
[...]

That's my question too.
"
Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While

Maybe so, but it works great for desktops. If you have multiple
programs open and running, you don't have to go start them again. It
even restarts cmd .bat files that were running. It picks up just
where you left off.

Many people will have to actually close windows every 3 or 4 days,
some earlier, some later, but I've been going about 4 days lately.

Once in a while, you have to actually close windows and restart it
because the MS Tuesday downloads usually need you to close windows to
finish installing them, and other software may require that too.
Also, If you start to run out of RAM, you'll have to close. Some
programs still don't fully release the ram they use and after a few
days, you can run out. Or if the computer slows down for no
identifeied reason, restarting will often get it back to the regular
speed.

I've always been able to restart from Hibernate in winxp, but have on
occasion in win98 had problems restarting from Standby. Since I
alwway save my work, I can turn the computer off while in Standby and
I've lost no work, but I have to restart all the programs. (And the
10 year old, 4 versions old version of Agent I use only remembers that
one ng was open. If I used version 6, it would remember all of them
even with a cold start)

I did have to buy a newer video card for 20 or 30 dollars to get
Standby and Hibernate to work, but the one I had was about 10 years
old.

sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of
power,

Sleep, or Standby, has the disadvantage that if the computer gets
unplugged, or if a laptop battery runs down, everything that was in
memory is forgotten. This would inslude a modiefied file that hasn't
been saved. Or a bat file that was running.

hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk,
and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows,
hibernation uses the least amount of power.

It uses none, afaik, except the battery that powers the clock and
retains values in the BIOS, adnd you're right, the power needed to let
wake-from work, but that's used even when the computer is off, unless
maybe one disables wake from.

[...]

I had hibernate as far back as win 3.1, I think it was, but it had a
different name and came from a 3rd party. I bought it at a hamfest
but didn't, couldn't really use it because it took so long to copy my
ram to the harddrive and back. Later MS bought it from the author
(or maybe stole it and paid him something when he sued, who knows?)

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2011 12:48 PM, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

The safest way is to unplug the PC and every thing plugged into the PC,
including monitor, speakers, cable, phone line....... although that
could be a real pain in the ass. Can be made a little easier by not
just turning off your multi outlet gizmo, but unplugging it also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
.
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark

MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Can you point me a little closer to where it says that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2011 7:49 PM, mm wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:36:56 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Bob typed:
: On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
:: .
[...]

I normally use "standby" much faster wake up. And it took me a while
to get it to work, but finally made it so moving the mouse will not wake
it up. I hated that, walk by a little too fast and the mouse moves a
hair and starts the pc. Now I have to press the keyboard for it to wake up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
.
[...]

I wouldn't call 2003 up to date! It's a Phoenix BIOS on a Dell
Dimension 4600i running XP Home. All I've ever updated is the OS (per
MS updates), software applications, and added some RAM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote
MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Can you point me a little closer to where it says that?

I don't see that, but they do use some power. Hybrid sleep though, allows
the power to be cut.

Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount
of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your
laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the
battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a
combination of sleep and hibernate-it puts any open documents and programs
in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a
low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a
power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk.
When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep
automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is
typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

marco polo wrote:

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

It's at least as well protected with the switched turned off as with
the switch turned on because the surge protection components are still
connected to the AC lines.

But if a storm is pending or you'll be leaving your home, unplug
everything connected to the computer, even the monitor, printer,
modem, and TV cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 2:06*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 11, 12:17*pm, marco polo wrote:

.
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark

MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nation-fre...- Hide quoted text -

Where in that MSFT link does it say that? I don't see it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 4:59*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

computer's power supply - if it has one - on the back of the case.- Hide quoted text -

My vote for the best answer. Also, even if the power was completely
disconnected
via switch in the PC, a surge of sufficient voltage could still
arc across some wiring point in the PC.

Also, whether the surge protector is turned on or not has no effect on
it's surge
protection for surges originating on the AC lines. As long as it's
connected
the MOVs are still there
between the line and PC whether the surge protector is on or not. The
surge
protector uses neglible power, only enough to light the LED indicators.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 3:51*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
.com,
dadiOH typed::: marco polo wrote:

::: hi all,
:::
::: If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
::: should the Surge Protector remain on,

It doesn't really matter but it can be a handy place to remove power
completely from the PC if that's what you want to do.

::: or can I turn it off also?

Up to you.

::: Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?
::
:: Yes. *There are other conduits to the computer besides AC.

Well, that's kind of a useless post; what ARE they?

Phone modem connection, LAN connection, USB cable running to
a printer.....

They are things like ground interruptions surging or browning, taken away by
a good surge suppressor.

Surge protector/suppressor does nothing for brown out conditions.

With the surge protector, you are adding a bit of
protection to that of the computer but in a way it lessens the effects of
overall protection by putting surge suppression ckty in parallel, which
means, since it's not resistive, that the timing stretches out before they
fire because each one takes on the surge unless/until it gets high enough to
let some surges get through.

How exactly does the surge protector shunting the surge before most of
it
reaches the PC reduce protection? Answer: It doesn't. In fact, a
tiered
approach is exactly what is recommended. Best case is 3 tiers.
First is
a whole house surge protector at the panel. Next is plug-in surge
protectors
at the point of use that clamp all lines coming into the PC/appliance
to the
same level, eg AC power, phone, cable.....

The thing to remember is never to put surge
suppression in series because it puts the active components in parallel.
That's probably not intuitive but if you draw out two surge suppressor
schematics in series, you'll note that the protection devices end up in
parallel and overall suppression abilities are thus compromised.

Reference please. How does putting two MOVs in parrallel do anything
other than offer more potnetial current shunting capability?

* Most importantly: There are things like the telephone or modem lines where
surges etc. can get into a PC easily. Those are particularly susceptible to
power surges and lightning hits more often than the AC line is, in fact, if
the outside wiring is above ground anywhere between you and the telco; which
is the usual case.
* *There are a few others but they become mundane compared to the above.
Always disconnect the phone/DSL/ADSL etc. connectors whenever you are trying
to protect the computer.

That would be impractical for most people to do....

Only optical cable has any kind of native
protection against surge & lightning hits.
* *You are much more likely to experience surge/lightning than you are
someone hacking into your machine unless you carelessly designed forms or
other user inputs for your web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco *wrote:
.
Hibernation, according to MS:
saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as opposed to
Not saving your session, and shutting off computer, I suppose.

I haven't "shut down" 1st.
I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].

One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
and when both are turned on, I have my restored programs.
So, Hibernation does not need power [at least with Windows 7].

I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
with the Suppressor off.

thanks
mark

MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ibernation-fre...

Can you point me a little closer to where it says that?

Where does it say..."you can then turn your power strip off" or "pull
the plug". If it doesn't say...then it's not recommended. It does say,
"That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work
from your hard disk".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 3/11/2011 1:39 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:48:35 -0800 (PST), marco polo
wrote:

hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

The most important thing is to be sure all the inputs to your system
and the house are protected. You need phone line and TV cable
protection too and be sure it is using the same ground point as the
electrical service protection (panel protector).

I agree that having phone and cable (and dish) entry protectors
connected to the power system grounding electrode is real important. If
wired to NEC standards entry protectors will be connected this way.
Phone companies are quite good at this. Cable not as good. And dish is
generally the worst.

You want a short ground wire from the entry protectors to the common
connection point. Ten feet may be too long.

It is likely that most equipment damage is from high voltages between
power and phone and cable wires rather than high voltage between H-N-G.

Those surge strips
may make you feel good but if you are not stopping most of the
problems before they get in your house you are not really doing much.

NIST surge guru Francois Martzloff looked at the amount of energy that
would be dissipated in a MOV in a plug-in suppressor when there was no
service panel suppressor. The branch circuit lengths were 10 to 50
meters. The surge on the incoming power wires were up to 10,000A (which
is the maximum that has any realistic probability of occurring). The
energy dissipated was surprisingly small - 35 joules maximum. In 13 of
15 cases it was 1 joule or less. Contrary to intuition, at all branch
circuit lengths the energy dissipation was lower at some of the higher
surge currents.

There are 2 reasons the energy was so low. One is that at about 6,000V
there is arc-over at the panel or meter. When the arc is established the
arc voltage is hundreds of volts. Since "ground" and neutral are
connected to the earthing system, that dumps most of the incoming surge
energy to earth.

(In Martzloff's investigation, large surges produced arc-over - which
greatly limited the energy that reached the MOV. For some lower incoming
surges, the MOV downstream on the branch circuit could limit the voltage
at the panel to below 6,000V, so there was no arc-over. That resulted in
more energy dissipation in the MOV.)

The other reason the energy in the MOV was so low is that a surge is a
very short duration event. That means the inductance of the wire is more
important than the resistance. The inductance greatly limits the current
that can flow, and thus the energy in the MOV. There will be higher
current in very short branch circuits.

(NEC 285.25 says that if "included in the manufacturer instructions"
there "shall be a minimum of 30 feet of conductor distance from the
service.")

Neither service panel or plug-in suppressors protect by absorbing
energy. Both absorb some energy in the process of protecting.

I'd add battery back up. I have it on all my computers. You can buy
cheap units that will keep power for several minutes in case of a power
outage to allow proper shut down.

Assuming you mean a UPS, look at the surge protection rating. And if you
depend on it for surge protection it should be listed under UL1449.

Also with surge strips, a surge may knock them out and they will not
provide protection for the next surge.

MOVs fail by starting to conduct at lower voltages, and finally starting
to conduct at normal voltage. That cause thermal runaway and basically a
short circuit. UL1449 has, since 1998, required thermal disconnects for
failing MOVs. The protected load can be connected across the MOVs and be
disconnected when the MOVs are - the protected load stays 'protected'.
This is, I believe, how both of the plug-in suppressors I use are wired.

MOVs are probably always connected downstream from the switch. When the
switch is turned off the MOVs are not across the incoming power wires,
but still are across the outlets.

=======================
It is important that all interconnected equipment be connected to the
same plug-in suppressor. Also that all external wires - power, cable,
phone - go through the plug in suppressor. Plug in suppressors primarily
protect by clamping the voltages on all wires to the common ground at
the suppressor.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco wrote:
.
[...]

You are loosing me. I asked where it gave the information about not to
unplug it. You wrote "If it doesn't say...then it's not recommended."
It doesn't tell me to put my monitor on top of a *black* desktop, so I'm
doing wrong by doing that? It doesn't say which way to position the
monitor, does it go toward me or away from me? Damn MS doesn't say, now
I'm in a real bind. Common sense tells me that if you remove all
external wires from the pc that might be hit by lighting, you will be
much safer by making it very much more difficult for a lighting surge to
damage it. Now I'm not saying I do that, but it would be safer that
way. Uh, but that's not true because MS doesn't say it? Take a look at
the subject line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco * *wrote:
.
[...]

the subject line.- Hide quoted text -

If you look at the other replies, you're not alone. Many posters said
the same thing, which is the link from MSFT does not say what Bob
claims it does. It says absolutely nothing about recommending not to
turn computers off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In news mm typed:
:: On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:36:56 -0500, "Twayne"
:: wrote:
::
::: In
::: ,
::: Bob Villa typed:
:::: On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco polo
:::: wrote:
::::: .
::::: Hibernation, according to MS:
::::: saves your session, and shuts off the computer; as
::::: opposed to Not saving your session, and shutting off
::::: computer, I suppose.
:::::
::::: I haven't "shut down" 1st.
::::: I have been putting my computer into Hibernation,
::::: and turning off the Surge protector [for weeks now].
:::::
::::: One way or the other, the computer is shut off,
::::: and when both are turned on, I have my restored
::::: programs. So, Hibernation does not need power [at least
::::: with Windows 7].
:::::
::::: I just want to know if the computer is ok [protected]
::::: with the Suppressor off.
:::::
::::: thanks
::::: mark
::::
:::: MS doesn't recommend turning off the power to the PC.
::::
::::
:::
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
:::
::: Where does that link say that? Inwhich link it offers?
::: All I see is:
::
:: That's my question too.
::: "
[...]

Hibernation is "OFF". The ONLY things that won't work if you remove all
power are things like wake-on-LAN and such. Literally everything you were
working on goes to the hard drive. Once it's written to the drive, there is
no need to power it. THAT is why it was orginally intended for laptops & the
like.
Instead of guessing and posting misinformation, why not go research it
first, so you have a good post and increase your credbility?

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 3/11/2011 12:48 PM, marco polo wrote:
hi all,

If I turn my computer off at night [hibernation]
should the Surge Protector remain on,
or can I turn it off also?
Can a surge/spike hurt anything with the computer off?

And, I have other devices [spreakers, cable modem, printer]
plugged into it also, so I thought I might as well turn them all off.
That way, at the end of the year,
I can afford a new set of tires [for my bicycle]

thanks
marc

The safest way is to unplug the PC and every thing plugged into the PC,
including monitor, speakers, cable, phone line....... although that
could be a real pain in the ass. Can be made a little easier by not just
turning off your multi outlet gizmo, but unplugging it alsHmmm,

Hmm,
What is all this talk? In 40 years our electric power outage total time
was may be ~ half an hour? And nothing in the house got damaged by
instability of supplied electricity. And all our utility is undergorund.
Nothing hangsoverhead. If something goes, there is insurance and it's
good excuse to upgrade for a newer, better(?) stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 2:35*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

In my experience, that's quite exceptional reliability. Here in NJ,
it's more like half an hour every 5 years or so. Maybe one of those
of close to half hour duration and several a year where power goes
out for a few seconds to less than a minute.

*And nothing in the house got damaged by
instability of supplied electricity. And all our utility is undergorund.
Nothing hangsoverhead.

Having utilities underground eliminates lightning strikes which are
a real problem in the many areas that have utility poles. IT also
depends where you are. Florida and California are very different
in terms of lightning strikes per year.

If something goes, there is insurance and it's
good excuse to upgrade for a newer, better(?) stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Who konws if the surge will take out the 15 year old stereo or the new
$1000 TV? I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $100 for a whole
house surge protector than try to prove what caused a 2 year old
$1000
TV to fail. And then, typical homeowner's policy here today has a
$500
or $1000 deductible. Plus, put in a claim for that TV, get $500 and
then
you may see your rate go up $100 a year.

I had a Tivo hit by lightning on the phone line about 5 years ago. It
was
not connected to a plug-in surge protector and the modem got blown
out. I was lucky as Tivo had a flat fee repair/swap of $100.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:29:31 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In news mm typed:
:: On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:36:56 -0500, "Twayne"
:: wrote:
::
::: In
::: ,
::: Bob Villa typed:
:::: On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco polo
:::: wrote:
::::: .
[...]

I didn't post anything that is not so. Maybe instead of hit and run
complaints you could learn to put your "correction" after what you
think is a mistake, so other readers could see what you think is
wrong. Instead of at the end, where no one knows what you're
referring to.

why not go research it
first, so you have a good post and increase your credbility?

I could say the same thing to you.

HTH,

No, it didn't.

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco * *wrote:
.
[...]

Also, we seem to be talking about two things, Turn Off (win-key, u, u)
and Unplug.

Bob is concentrating on Unplug.

For years I turned off my UPS after I turned off my computer, to save
electricity. (The current UPS can't be turned off with my toes. And
because the cord is short, I practically have to get down on teh
floor.) Turning off the UPS is equivalent to unplugging the computer.
It causes no problem, except that the computer relies on the CMOS
battery to keep track of the time and BIOS settings. If wake-on is
enabled, it stil won't work because the CMOS battery won't power it.

And people unplug their computers, sometimes for a long time, when
they move to another home.

But if Hibernate is used and the UPS or, the Surge Suppressor is
turned off, or the computer itself is unplugged, the previous session
will still start up where the user left off**.

**I've been wondering, If I install more memory while the computer is
in hibernate, will Windows recognize and use the added memory? I know
if you plug in a USB device while in Hibernate, Windows will find it,
as if you plugged it in just after it finished coming out of
Hibernate.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:35:08 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

instability of supplied electricity. And all our utility is underground.

My utilities are underground too, but I still have a couple outages a
year, far more than NYC where iirc there was only one in 12 years, one
of the two big ones.

Sometimes transformers cause problems. I don't know what other causes
there have been.

Of course in Japan today, 8 million people don't have electricity.

Nothing hangsoverhead. If something goes, there is insurance and it's
good excuse to upgrade for a newer, better(?) stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:48:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

In my experience, that's quite exceptional reliability. Here in NJ,
it's more like half an hour every 5 years or so. Maybe one of those
of close to half hour duration and several a year where power goes
out for a few seconds to less than a minute.

I forgot about those. We have loads of those too that last only one
to 60 seconds. I can tell how long they lasted by which things of
five things lost the time and which didn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 1:29*pm, "Twayne" wrote:

"Hibernation is "OFF". The ONLY things that won't work if you remove
all
power are things like wake-on-LAN and such. Literally everything you
were
working on goes to the hard drive. Once it's written to the drive,
there is
no need to power it. THAT is why it was orginally intended for laptops
& the
like.
Instead of guessing and posting misinformation, why not go research
it
first, so you have a good post and increase your credbility?

HTH,

Twayne`"

Well T-Wayne, as I have said, if want to power-off...and you are in
the habit of doing so, and you have been doing so without
consequence...by all means. I don't and MS doesn't say to either.
Am I a credible source? Some think I am...most...probably not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:59 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

You bring up another point: MOVs. MOVs are like reverse fuses - they are
normally open until they see a surge, then they short the surge to ground.
Problem is, like fuses, they're only good once (or maybe a few times). Then
they no longer work and the strip passes the surge straight on through.

Surge protection strips that use sophisticated electronics continue to work,
no matter how many surges they encounter.

So how can you tell which you have? If the strip cost in the neighborhood of
five bucks, it's the (almost) worthless MOV kind. If it cost $50.00 or more,
it's probably the electronic kind.

An all-round better solution is a "Whole-House" surge protector. These cost
$50-75 and attach at the circuit breaker box (if your hand fits a
screwdriver, you can install one). Moreover, they have little light(s) to
tell you they are working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 4:06*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:59 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

"Whole-House" is definitely not the answer. A UPS with surge
suppression would be a better one.
Any high-current device switching on or off and going through a common
conduit or routed near to the supply circuit of a PC would induce a
surge into that circuit. Making "Whole-House" suppression pointless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2011 2:29 PM, Twayne wrote:
In news typed:
:: On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:36:56 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:
::
::: In
::: ,
::: Bob typed:
:::: On Mar 11, 12:17 pm, marco
:::: wrote:
::::: .
[...]

If it will "wake on lan", it is ON. At the very least the power supply
is on and any circuitry to monitor the lan is on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2011 2:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

What I said is not what I would do. It's way to much hassle. I just
said that it is the best way to avoid surge from hurting the PC and
anything attached to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/12/2011 4:19 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 12, 4:06 pm, wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:59 pm, wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:48 am, marco wrote:
[...]

I read somewhere about studies done that showed the best practice was to
cascade surge protection starting where the power enters a structure.
Then at distribution panels to protection at individual pieces of gear.
The power company here offers a unit that plugs into the meter socket
and the meter plugs into the surge protector. Take a look at page 7 of
the pdf from the link below:

http://www.apsllc.net/Cooper%20Power/Line/Aug97.pdf

TDD