Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat in small shower/toilet room

I have a small room with a shower stall, toilet and pedestal sink.
The floor space is about 48" x 56". It is located in the corner of
the house, so 2 walls are outside walls. The house is in western
NC. While the room is comfortable as far as air temperature, the
tile floor is cold. There is one register in the floor on one of
the outside walls. The area below is garage, so it could be
accessed from below by removing a piece of garage ceiling drywall
and insulation. I would like to use the area below the the small
bathroom as a heat plenum, hopefully warming up the floor. I know
people (including me) will say, "you can't do that ....." But in
my house and in many other houses in this area, they put the heat
registers for the kitchen and bathrooms (not this bathroom, but the
other one) in the cabinet kick plate. The duct just comes through
the floor and dies there. The air just pressurizes the "kickplate"
area and it eventually comes out of the register mounted up front.
So if I were to wall off the area directly below the floor, insult
the sides and against the garage drywall, and just like the kitchen
cabinets, let the air find its way to the register. I would have to
put a shut off on the duct for summer use or suffer an even colder
floor in the summertime. BTW, the heat comes from a heat pump with
a propane furnace for backup heat. Any comments pro or con or other
ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 24, 11:23*am, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

If you have a cold room above the garage the solution to the problem
is obvious: pull down the garage ceiling drywall, pack it solid with
insulation, spray foam or whatever, then see what other steps might
help move warm air to the room. Remember, for warm air in you need to
move cold air out.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 12:23*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Using the space between framing as hvac duct work is done sometimes.
Normally it is interior wall spaces. You need to make sure the ends
are sealed or add blocking yourself. I would try to put some minimal
insulation on the garage ceiling side like maybe foam sheet or
something.

One of the problems created by doing this is wider temp changes where
the framing is located. This could result in more shrink and
expanding depending on temp and humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 12:53*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

expanding depending on temp and humidity.- Hide quoted text -

Here's the problems I see with this approach:

Normally there aren't heating ducts in unheated garage space, so where
is the hot air coming from?

The joists have to run in the right direction

You only get one bay's worth of heating area between joists. To do
the
whole bathroom would require several bays.

The air has to come from and go somewhere as it flows through the
bay. Where does it go?

Given the above, I would think a better solution would be electric
radiant
heat, which could be easily installed exactly where needed. Given
it's only
supplemental heat for one room, the operating cost shouldn't be very
high.
You;d have a control, timer, etc in the bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Given the above, I would think a better solution would be electric
radiant
heat, which could be easily installed exactly where needed. *Given
it's only
*supplemental heat for one room, the operating cost shouldn't be very
high.
You;d have a control, timer, etc in the bathroom.-

yeah my suggested solution too, easy to install, just run when needed.

if the OP were putting in a new ceramic floor they could imbeed
electric floor heat grid, but its probably not worth the effort.

or a combo fan heater for the cieling. they really warm things up

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Insulate the area under the floor, so the floor will be the same temp as the
room. Doing what you suggest will also dump significant heat to the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I have a small room with a shower stall, toilet and pedestal sink.
The floor space is about 48" x 56". It is located in the corner of
the house, so 2 walls are outside walls. The house is in western
NC. While the room is comfortable as far as air temperature, the
tile floor is cold.

Throw rug.

Or slippers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First thought to me, is insulation under the floor. Second
thought, is that when I was a kid, we spent time in a motel
that had a heat lamp in the ceiling. I thought that was
really neat idea. I wnder if they are still available? You
could turn on the heat lamp to warm your insullated floor.

The heat run under the floor sounds possible. Like you say,
damper it so you aren't AC your floor in the summer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:31:30 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
I have a small room with a shower stall, toilet and pedestal sink.
The floor space is about 48" x 56". It is located in the corner of
the house, so 2 walls are outside walls. The house is in western
NC. While the room is comfortable as far as air temperature, the
tile floor is cold.

Throw rug.

Oh, that would be to easy. It was my same thought to use a rug. I'm
actually allergic to work.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
I have a small room with a shower stall, toilet and pedestal sink.
The floor space is about 48" x 56". *It is located in the corner of
the house, so 2 walls are outside walls. *The house is in western
NC. *While the room is comfortable as far as air temperature, the
tile floor is cold.

Throw rug.

Oh, that would be to easy. *It was my same thought to use a rug. *I'm
actually allergic to work.....

Do you also insult your floors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

LOL... Just get fluffier bathroom area rugs...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 7:09*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:26:46 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "

wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:
I have a small room with a shower stall, toilet and pedestal sink.
The floor space is about 48" x 56". It is located in the corner of
the house, so 2 walls are outside walls. The house is in western
NC. While the room is comfortable as far as air temperature, the
tile floor is cold.

Throw rug.

Oh, that would be to easy. It was my same thought to use a rug. I'm
actually allergic to work.....

Do you also insult your floors?

Can you rephrase your question?- Hide quoted text -

The op referred to "insult" ing the sides of the space, he meant
"insulat"ing the sides. Since we are former co-workers from many
years ago, the OP knew I was trying to be humerous. I'll try to do
better next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 12:23 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

You are considering a very complicated solution when there is a much
simpler one. You say that the room temperature is comfortable; your
only complaint is that the tile floor is cold. Get a mildew resistant
area rug and if necessary, cut away the part of the rug that otherwise
would cover the floor register. Problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I agree that using the hot air system is not likely practical, and that
electric might be the best fix (other than a rug). I think there are
electric panels that mount to the bottom of a subfloor to heat the
floor. Like trader suggested this probably has to be installed in
multiple joist spaces.

Maybe a plug-in (GFCIed) electric heater blowing across the floor when
(before) you use the bathroom?

If you walk on the floor with bare feet the floor has to be warmer than
the walls or air because you get real good heat transfer.

--
bud--

Too small for shower room? Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 9 July 29th 09 11:45 AM
Shower room / shower tray refurb Adrian UK diy 12 January 25th 09 10:45 PM
Is my room to small for a shower ? Mike UK diy 13 December 4th 07 05:35 PM
Small shower room ScoobyDoo UK diy 1 December 31st 05 04:04 PM
Small ensuite shower room - mosaic tiles pros & cons SC UK diy 6 August 21st 03 11:45 AM