Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Mini tubing cutter cheaper at Pep Boys.

I needed a mini-tubing cutter, to cut off less than a half inch
underneath the sink. Happened to go to Pep Boys after HD.

Home Depot, 16 dollars.

Pep Boys, 7 dollars.

The Pep Boys one was hard to tighten, even though the knob is well
knurled and the screw seemed to be lubricated already. I've never
used any other brand, so don't know if it would be easier. And I'll
probably never do this again.

But it still did a good job of cutting the tube.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:03:27 -0500, mm
wrote:

I needed a mini-tubing cutter, to cut off less than a half inch
underneath the sink. Happened to go to Pep Boys after HD.

Home Depot, 16 dollars.

This was Ridgid.

Pep Boys, 7 dollars.

This was OEM, a brand.

I was back at HD today, and in another place they had a mini-cutter
also for 7 dollars, but it was so cheap, it didn't have wheels, only
the cutter and a groove to rotate in by sliding, on the enamel painted
surface, while being squeezed from the other side! It was Brasscraft,
and there was, like with Ridgid, a slightly larger mini-cutter, for 12
dollars.

Then in the electric department there was a similar tool by Klein,
which makes electrical stuff, for scoring conduit, so it can be
broken. This wasn't mini, but it still seems related to me, and I'll
bet it would cut copper tubing, although not the 3/8" tubing that a
kitchen faucet has.

The Pep Boys one was hard to tighten, even though the knob is well
knurled and the screw seemed to be lubricated already. I've never
used any other brand, so don't know if it would be easier. And I'll
probably never do this again.

But it still did a good job of cutting the tube.

And I have water in my kitchen sink now. It's cool. Thanks for the
help in an earlier thread.