Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Source for replacement soap dish insert?

I'm visiting my inlaws, who are elderly. The plastic soap dish insert
in one shower is broken. I'd like to find a replacement, but haven't
found a source. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of the broken insert with dimensions.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z383vb/7

Here's a photo of the base that is embedded into the wall of the
shower, which is one of those one-piece units made of something like
fiberglass.

http://tinypic.com/r/mu7n5u/7

However, I would rather not replace the base unit because it will
probably not arrive before I leave and they will then have to hire
someone to replace it. I'd like to buy just the plastic insert.
Unfortunately, the shower is probably 25-30 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I'm visiting my inlaws, who are elderly. The plastic soap dish insert
in one shower is broken. I'd like to find a replacement, but haven't
found a source. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of the broken insert with dimensions.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z383vb/7

Here's a photo of the base that is embedded into the wall of the
shower, which is one of those one-piece units made of something like
fiberglass.

http://tinypic.com/r/mu7n5u/7

However, I would rather not replace the base unit because it will
probably not arrive before I leave and they will then have to hire
someone to replace it. I'd like to buy just the plastic insert.
Unfortunately, the shower is probably 25-30 years old.

I didn't check the dimensions but this looks like it:

http://tinyurl.com/4rdl7ks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 2:42 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Prof wrote:

I'm visiting my inlaws, who are elderly. The plastic soap dish insert
in one shower is broken. I'd like to find a replacement, but haven't
found a source. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of the broken insert with dimensions.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z383vb/7

Here's a photo of the base that is embedded into the wall of the
shower, which is one of those one-piece units made of something like
fiberglass.

http://tinypic.com/r/mu7n5u/7

However, I would rather not replace the base unit because it will
probably not arrive before I leave and they will then have to hire
someone to replace it. I'd like to buy just the plastic insert.
Unfortunately, the shower is probably 25-30 years old.

I didn't check the dimensions but this looks like it:

http://tinyurl.com/4rdl7ks

Pretty sure that thing is held onto shower wall with a big spring clip
on the back, that the screws tighten into, sorta like an old toilet
paper dispenser. I'd make a pass through local big box and/or
traditional plumbing supply house (better source for old stock), and
look for a whole new thing to mount in the hole. 50s through mid-70s,
square chrome things like that were dirt-common for bathrooms, but they
seen to have vanished in favor of surface-mounted units.

Me, I'd just tell them it is now a washrag holder, and surface-mount a
soap dish elsewhere, or buy them a fancy shower-arm caddy thing. Is it
even in a good location in shower? Almost every one I have ever seen is
perfectly situated in the wrong place, where it catches the brunt of
shower stream directly or bounced off the user, and melts the soap in a
week.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I'm visiting my inlaws, who are elderly. The plastic soap dish insert
in one shower is broken. I'd like to find a replacement, but haven't
found a source. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of the broken insert with dimensions.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z383vb/7

Here's a photo of the base that is embedded into the wall of the
shower, which is one of those one-piece units made of something like
fiberglass.

http://tinypic.com/r/mu7n5u/7

However, I would rather not replace the base unit because it will
probably not arrive before I leave and they will then have to hire
someone to replace it. I'd like to buy just the plastic insert.
Unfortunately, the shower is probably 25-30 years old.

I didn't check the dimensions but this looks like it:

http://tinyurl.com/4rdl7ks

Wasn't there another discussion about this same soap dish recently? This could
be a clue for the previous one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:42:33 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I'm visiting my inlaws, who are elderly. The plastic soap dish insert
in one shower is broken. I'd like to find a replacement, but haven't
found a source. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a photo of the broken insert with dimensions.

http://tinypic.com/r/1z383vb/7

Here's a photo of the base that is embedded into the wall of the
shower, which is one of those one-piece units made of something like
fiberglass.

http://tinypic.com/r/mu7n5u/7

However, I would rather not replace the base unit because it will
probably not arrive before I leave and they will then have to hire
someone to replace it. I'd like to buy just the plastic insert.
Unfortunately, the shower is probably 25-30 years old.

I didn't check the dimensions but this looks like it:

http://tinyurl.com/4rdl7ks

I don't think that is exactly the same thing. It doesn't look like it
has the slots on the sides for the pins.

I think I might have found a source for a whole new unit. Here's one
on Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/4ljtw87

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof wrote:

[...]

That's a point. It is mounted exactly where it gets a lot of water
splash. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 19, 1:42*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

snip

I didn't check the dimensions but this looks like it:

http://tinyurl.com/4rdl7ks

For the price that certainly seems like one good gamble.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:42:33 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

FWIW, Some years ago I bought a couple at a good plumbing supply store. Call
around.