Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Good Are Pilot Holes?

On Feb 17, 5:06*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in nk.net...

"Gary Sokolisch" wrote in message
. ..
If you pre-drill, the screw doesn't have much to grab onto. *In the old
days, they simply turned the screw without any pilot holes. *In fact, my
dad used to do it that way. *The screw threads thereby get a good "bite"
into the wood.

The right size pilot hole is just a hair smaller than the inner shank of

the
screw, not the threads. *Thereby giving plenty of wood for the threads to
hold onto.

I sometimes put a couple drops of glue on the screw threads. *It

lubricates
the screw and it goes in easier, and once the glue hardens, it stays

better.
I only do this in places I figure the screw won't have to be removed. *I
know I'll probably get caught one of these days and have to take out one

of
my glued screws, and then I'll cuss myself for doing it.

I do just the opposite. *I use a drill slightly smaller than I would
normally use and coat the screw with candle wax. *Sure makes them go in
easier. *They feel plenty tight and I find that I don't bugger the head as
often since the resistance doesn't suddenly build up. *Hope they won't fall
out from the wax! * The real danger of not using a big enough pilot hole is
that the wood will split. *That can happen years later when the wood dries
out and there's some sort repetitive action involved (like opening and
closing a door each day).

--
Bobby G.

"...and coat the screw with candle wax"

Grandpa always had a beat up bar of soap in his toolbox
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Grandpa was a soap boxer? (-"

-
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 11:58*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Grandpa always had a beat up bar of soap in his toolbox- Hide quoted text -

My dad was a carpenter in the 1950's and he used the bar soap method.

I frequently use a small finish nail to make a pilot hole in soft
wood; drive it in half-way with a hammer then remove. Hard woods get
drilled.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Carpenter talking to oak door: "You think you're a hard
wood? But I'm tougher. You know the drill."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pavel314"
wrote in message

My dad was a carpenter in the 1950's and he used the bar
soap method.

I frequently use a small finish nail to make a pilot hole in
soft
wood; drive it in half-way with a hammer then remove. Hard
woods get
drilled.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 7:43*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Carpenter talking to oak door: "You think you're a hard
wood? But I'm tougher. You know the drill."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Pavel314"
wrote in ...

My dad was a carpenter in the 1950's and he used the bar
soap method.

I frequently use a small finish nail to make a pilot hole in
soft
wood; drive it in half-way with a hammer then remove. Hard
woods get
drilled.

Paul

....about as funny as a screen door in a submarine.