Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-incandescent oven light?

Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F
for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 2, 3:28*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F
for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in the
hot sun.
Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C.
It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last long
in the heat, as in Turbo Oven.
All fans are on the outside.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F
for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in the
hot sun.
Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C.
It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last long
in the heat, as in Turbo Oven.
All fans are on the outside.

greg

LED's inherently also keep getting dimmer as they warm up over a
certain threshold.
If you pulse it with high current, the light output sags.
To get 50 K hours life, they must be operated conservatively. Not many
engineers do that
when your trying to get a lot of light.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F
for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in the
hot sun.
Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C.
It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last long
in the heat, as in Turbo Oven.
All fans are on the outside.

greg

Thanks for the replies.

What I am wondering is what I'll replace my oven light with if
incandescent bulbs are regulated out of existence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If this is an industrial oven....like a pizza oven then a small metal halide
lamp can be used...I have seen this in a local rotery pizza oven

MH lamps dont mind the heat and can last a L O N G time

wattages are available down to 39 watts (who comes up with these offbeat
numbers) and the 50 watt type fits a medium screw based socket .

If this is a home oven check on flea-bay and stock up a dozen bulbs this
should last like 10-15 years with casual use.

"Bill J." wrote in message
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high

temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to

sit at
425F for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in

the
hot sun.
Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C.
It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last

long
in the heat, as in Turbo Oven.
All fans are on the outside.

greg

Thanks for the replies.

What I am wondering is what I'll replace my oven light with if
incandescent bulbs are regulated out of existence.

They will probably come with miniature quartz/halogen bulbs. Yes,
these too are incandescent but not the type that will be regulated out
of existence. They run hotter than an oven.

--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:02:27 -0800 (PST), "Bill J."
wrote:

Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

An led would quickly fail at oven temps. Oven lamps are one
application exempt in all the incandescent lamp replacement
legislations.(for that reason)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill J." wrote in message
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

Totally a non issue as those bulbs are allowed and WILL be available
(and can be used in your cieling fan too)
Posted to alt.home.repair

How long before someone offers a stove with a ... gas light?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill J. wrote:
Does anyone make an LED or similar type of bulb for high temperature
applications like oven lights?

the heat would likely kill the electronics. it doesn't like to sit at 425F
for hours at a time, let alone the selfcleaning cycle.

Led's do not like heat. Heat kills many in bus rear taillights in the
hot sun.
Leds like it cooler than 25 deg C.
It would have to be through a window, just like fans do not last long
in the heat, as in Turbo Oven.
All fans are on the outside.

greg

Thanks for the replies.

What I am wondering is what I'll replace my oven light with if
incandescent bulbs are regulated out of existence.

Appliance bulbs are one of the many exceptions to the upcoming
incandescent "ban".

http://members.misty.com/don/incban.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bill J., DeanGo wrote:
I would not use an LED in a regular oven. How many hours a year is your oven
light on where you will have a significant savings. The FED's are not
eliminating regular incandecents for special applications, only primary home
useage at this point.
I currently have 3 intermediate base LED's in my convection/microwave oven
and they have worked fine for over a year. They are the silica-gel covered
kind, are designed to handle higher heat, and are certainly brighter than the
originals. If they have lost any intensity over time, it is very little.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-618900-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, DeanGo wrote:
I have had silica-gel type LED's in my convection/microwave for over a year
without issue. I sear all of my roasts on the broil setting, which barely gets
to 500 degrees, but the bulb has done just fine in there. I did watch it
closely the first couple of times I used the new bulbs.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-618900-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:14:03 GMT, DeanGo m wrote:

replying to clare, DeanGo wrote:
I have had silica-gel type LED's in my convection/microwave for over a year
without issue. I sear all of my roasts on the broil setting, which barely gets
to 500 degrees, but the bulb has done just fine in there. I did watch it
closely the first couple of times I used the new bulbs.

A very timely response that took you 8 years to compose!?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:06:14 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:14:03 GMT, DeanGo m wrote:

replying to clare, DeanGo wrote:
I have had silica-gel type LED's in my convection/microwave for over a year
without issue. I sear all of my roasts on the broil setting, which barely gets
to 500 degrees, but the bulb has done just fine in there. I did watch it
closely the first couple of times I used the new bulbs.

A very timely response that took you 8 years to compose!?

So you failed math? snicker ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Subtraction Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 3:14:06 PM UTC-6, DeanGo wrote:
replying to Bill J., DeanGo wrote:
I would not use an LED in a regular oven. How many hours a year is your oven
light on where you will have a significant savings. The FED's are not
eliminating regular incandecents for special applications, only primary home
useage at this point.
I currently have 3 intermediate base LED's in my convection/microwave oven
and they have worked fine for over a year. They are the silica-gel covered
kind, are designed to handle higher heat, and are certainly brighter than the
originals. If they have lost any intensity over time, it is very little.
--

You're too late! Tragically, 6 years ago, Bill became so depressed because he couldn't find an LED oven bulb that he stuck his head in his oven with the gas on without the oven pilot being lit. He wanted to die from breathing the gas but he neglected to extinguish the pilot lights for the stove top burners. The resulting explosion killed Bill(no pun) and destroyed his house. He is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 24 children, 3 dogs, 12 cats, a herd of dairy cows, 6 monkeys, 2 zebras, a 14 foot python and 372 very nervous gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. (-_-

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:48:57 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

You're too late! Tragically, 6 years ago, Bill became so depressed because he couldn't find an LED oven bulb that he stuck his head in his oven with the gas on without the oven pilot being lit. He wanted to die from breathing the gas but he neglected to extinguish the pilot lights for the stove top burners. The resulting explosion killed Bill(no pun) and destroyed his house. He is survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 24 children, 3 dogs, 12 cats, a herd of dairy cows, 6 monkeys, 2 zebras, a 14 foot python and 372 very nervous gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. (-_-

I read a prison file. The crook tried to put a guy's head in the
microwave and turn the unit on to kill him. Dummy couldn't get the
door shut. You can't make this stuff up. He did kill the guy though,
by other means.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jw, abyc wrote:
in your case, Why do you even need an oven. hold a match to your food.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ht-618900-.htm