Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Philips creates first LED incandescent light replacement

from http://www.rapidonline.com/

May 12, 2010

Philips seems to have made a breakthrough by creating the world´s first LED
replacement for a 60w incandescent light bulb.

The company introduced its new 12w EnduraLED bulb at the Lightfair
International tradeshow and is considered to be the future of lighting.

Homeowners and businesses can expect to make substantial energy savings with
the bulb cutting bills by approximately 80 per cent, while it will also last
25 times longer than its predecessor.

It is noted that use of the LED replacement could save enough electricity
each year to power an additional 16.7 million homes, while also representing
a milestone in the use of LED lighting technology in everyday applications.

Rudy Provoost, chief executive of Philips Lighting, said: "We challenged
ourselves to answer the consumer call for an LED alternative that can mimic
the traditional incandescent in light quality, shape and use.

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world that LED lighting can deliver energy efficiency and
the warm white light people desire for their homes, without compromise to
quality."

Cree recently posted an experimental video on YouTube highlighting the
benefits that LED lighting has over traditional incandescent lamps.

Rapid Electronics is a leading UK supplier of educational products,
electrical products and teaching resources to the primary, secondary and
higher education sector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article hsh5op$srp$2@qmul,
whisky-dave wrote:
"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world that LED lighting can deliver energy efficiency
and the warm white light people desire for their homes, without
compromise to quality."

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2010 16:27, whisky-dave wrote:

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world ...

... without tripping over in the dark! Brilliant!

Are the energy companies going to subsidise these as well?

Should I get on to my broker and splash out on shares in Philips?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 13/05/2010 16:27, whisky-dave wrote:

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world ...

.. without tripping over in the dark! Brilliant!

Are the energy companies going to subsidise these as well?

Should I get on to my broker and splash out on shares in Philips?

Follow NP and get a nuclear fuel tracker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

How many arms and legs will it cost?
Does it take mains voltage?
Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?
(Dimmable and instant on seem to be 'pluses' though.}
Is it April 1 again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:52:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Doesn't say halogen it says incandescent. B-)

Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case
of selecting the right phosphor(s) but I still have my doubts about
light intensity and distribution. An incandescent bulb radiates
fairly evenly in all directions apart from where the cap is.

All the "domestic" LED lamps I have seen so far have a very
directional pattern and a horrible cold blue/white light.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article hsh5op$srp$2@qmul,
whisky-dave wrote:
"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world that LED lighting can deliver energy efficiency
and the warm white light people desire for their homes, without
compromise to quality."

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Exactly my thought. That weird sci-fi blue is just tolerable in my 28
led torch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:21:50 +0100, "spamlet"
wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more
efficient than CFLs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more
efficient than CFLs.

So they cram masses of them in each enclosure, and we are back where we
started...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:05:35 +0100, "spamlet"
wrote:
.. .
wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more
efficient than CFLs.

So they cram masses of them in each enclosure, and we are back where we
started...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 May, 20:28, Bruce wrote:
I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more
efficient than CFLs.

Huh? Until quite recently white LEDs had a *lower* efficiency than
CFLs (around 40 lumens/watt for LED compared with about 80 lm/W for
CFL). I understand that an experimental 200 lm/W LED has been
developed, but it will be a while before such a beast appears in a
consumer product.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more efficient
than CFLs.

They may be, but the circuitry to reduce the voltage may not be. That
will probably improve in time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Doesn't say halogen it says incandescent. B-)

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case
of selecting the right phosphor(s) but I still have my doubts about
light intensity and distribution. An incandescent bulb radiates
fairly evenly in all directions apart from where the cap is.

Snag is the actual junction produces a blue light which is converted by
the phosphors. So efficiency goes down as you 'warm' it up.

All the "domestic" LED lamps I have seen so far have a very
directional pattern and a horrible cold blue/white light.

To keep the cost down they are made up of ordinary low powered devices
which are pretty directional. But higher powered types which aren't do
exist. And cost a lot more.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Adrian C wrote:
On 13/05/2010 16:27, whisky-dave wrote:

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world ...

.. without tripping over in the dark! Brilliant!

Are the energy companies going to subsidise these as well?

Should I get on to my broker and splash out on shares in Philips?

Follow NP and get a nuclear fuel tracker

Nuclear INDUSTRY tracker

So its mining, reactor construction and power companies, and a few
others. Reprocessing etc.

Ticker code NUKP. Fully traded on the LSE.

http://www.etfsecurities.com/fund/et...ergy_gb_en.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:52:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Doesn't say halogen it says incandescent. B-)

Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case
of selecting the right phosphor(s)

dont think leds use phosphors.

All the "domestic" LED lamps I have seen so far have a very
directional pattern and a horrible cold blue/white light.

They are very monochromatic. I would guess a warm light LED would use
RGB LEDS and a frosted bulb to diffuse the light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 13/05/2010 16:27, whisky-dave wrote:

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show
people around the world ...

.. without tripping over in the dark! Brilliant!

Are the energy companies going to subsidise these as well?

Should I get on to my broker and splash out on shares in Philips?

I recall that Cree were very hot about a decade ago ... looking at it again, I
see that in the last year or so it has gone from $20 to $80, almost back to the
heady dot-com level.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CREE+Basic+Chart&t=my
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:52:47 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to
that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Doesn't say halogen it says incandescent. B-)

Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case
of selecting the right phosphor(s)

dont think leds use phosphors.

All the "domestic" LED lamps I have seen so far have a very
directional pattern and a horrible cold blue/white light.

They are very monochromatic. I would guess a warm light LED would use
RGB LEDS and a frosted bulb to diffuse the light.

Wiki re white LEDs:

Phosphor-based LEDs

This method involves coating an LED of one color (mostly blue LED made
of InGaN) with phosphor of different colors to produce white light, the
resultant LEDs are called phosphor-based white LEDs. A fraction of the
blue light undergoes the Stokes shift being transformed from shorter
wavelengths to longer. Depending on the color of the original LED,
phosphors of different colors can be employed. If several phosphor
layers of distinct colors are applied, the emitted spectrum is
broadened, effectively increasing the color rendering index (CRI) value
of a given LED.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more
efficient than CFLs.

To get the light levels you need for domestic lighting you have to
drive them very hard. Careful thermal management is required and
efficiency isn't nearly as great as some would have you believe.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for?

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is
exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more efficient
than CFLs.

They may be, but the circuitry to reduce the voltage may not be. That
will probably improve in time.

The driver circuitry can be 90+% efficient if designed corectly, just
like any other switch mode converter. The LEDs themselves dissipate a
lot of power as heat.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip The LEDs themselves dissipate a
lot of power as heat.

MBQ

Umm ... is that not why we were forced to get rid of incandescents. I
could never quite understand the logic of that as that heat just
contributed to the house heating. No one ever complained that his
house was too hot because the lights were on !!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case
of selecting the right phosphor(s)

dont think leds use phosphors.

That's how they modify the base colour. Which with 'white' types is
usually blue.

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

dont think leds use phosphors.

I think white LEDs do. They're actually blue LEDs with a phosphor to
convert the light to white, which is why they often look blue-ish.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

That's how they modify the base colour. Which with 'white' types is
usually blue.

If the original light is blue, why did it take so long for blue LEDs to
come out? (You can't get away from them now.)

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 10:40*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

That's how they modify the base colour. Which with 'white' types is
usually blue.

If the original light is blue, why did it take so long for blue LEDs to
come out? *(You can't get away from them now.)

They've been around for years (20+ at least) but were very expensive
compared to the usual red. Now there's a mass market for blue (to make
white ones), you can pick up blue ones for a lot less.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 10:25*am, robgraham wrote:
snip The LEDs themselves dissipate a

lot of power as heat.

MBQ

Umm ... is that not why we were forced to get rid of incandescents. *I
could never quite understand the logic of that as that heat just
contributed to the house heating. *No one ever complained that his
house was too hot because the lights were on !!

Rob

It's all relative. A LED light will still be better than incandescent,
just don't expect it to run cool.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:

snip The LEDs themselves dissipate a
lot of power as heat.

MBQ

Umm ... is that not why we were forced to get rid of incandescents. I
could never quite understand the logic of that as that heat just
contributed to the house heating. No one ever complained that his
house was too hot because the lights were on !!

Can't think of any light source that doesn't generate some heat. It would
have to be 100% efficient not to. Tungsten start off at such a low
efficiency that just about anything more modern will be better. Efficiency
wise - not necessarily in light quality.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 23:28:33 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

To keep the cost down they are made up of ordinary low powered devices
which are pretty directional. But higher powered types which aren't do
exist. And cost a lot more.

That last bit is the key factor, unless the light is good and the
cost reasonable(*) no matter how little power they use they won't be
taken up.

(*) On a PAR with mid range CFLs, not the 99p for two supermarket
offerings...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2010 00:07:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

dont think leds use phosphors.

White ones do, others have been saying the light from the junctions
is blue. I think in the case of white LEDs it's actually somewhere in
the UV range rather than visible blue but I haven't googled... B-)

I would guess a warm light LED would use RGB LEDS and a frosted bulb to
diffuse the light.

So trichromatic. Not sure that is much better than monochromatic.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2010 04:00:51 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

A LED light will still be better than incandescent

.... but not better than a CFL, it would seem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May, 11:59, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On May 14, 10:40*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

That's how they modify the base colour. Which with 'white' types is
usually blue.

If the original light is blue, why did it take so long for blue LEDs to
come out? *(You can't get away from them now.)

They've been around for years (20+ at least) but were very expensive
compared to the usual red. Now there's a mass market for blue (to make
white ones), you can pick up blue ones for a lot less.

MBQ

Blue LED been around since early 80`s in silicon carbiide form, couple
problems , output was tiny and maunfacturing yield was like 1 in
10,000, Siemens offered a blue SiC LED , about 80 quid each for the 5
mm in late 80s.

Big breakthrogh is down to one man in the late 90s, Shuji Nakamura who
developed with aid of a lab assistant and funding of his employers,
Nichia, Galium Arsenide blue LEDs with far better output and yield.

Nichia`s main buiness being CRT and lighting phosphors Mr Nakamura
went on to develop the white LED.

http://archive.sciencewatch.com/jan-...2000_page3.htm

http://ledmuseum.org/

Phillips are an innovative company, compact cassette , video
cassette , CD with Sony , huge medical division, been on a buying
spree of other lighting companies recently. One of the big 3 lighting
companies Phillips, Osram/Sylvania and GE, been the big three since
electric lighting was new, didn`t get there by not keeping the hype
going.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2010 10:31:01 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article
,
robgraham wrote:

snip The LEDs themselves dissipate a
lot of power as heat.

MBQ

Umm ... is that not why we were forced to get rid of incandescents. I
could never quite understand the logic of that as that heat just
contributed to the house heating. No one ever complained that his
house was too hot because the lights were on !!

The energy spectrum of a hot body (tungsten filament in this case) is
determined by one thing only: its temperature. Incandescents can never
be hot enough to ensure that most of their energy is at visible
wavelengths. They'd (unsurprisingly) have to be as hot as the sun's
surface (6k).

Personally, in the summer I don't need the extra heat.

And in the summer, I don't need as much lighting!

I agree that incandescents waste energy, but the amount people claim is
lost per year is overstated, as we generally use the lights much more in
the colder, darker parts of the year than the lighter, warmer parts.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 10:27*am, "whisky-dave"
wrote:
[...]

Their Led is no more efficent than a Cfl, it is a higher Kelvin and
harsher on the eyes than 2700K or what incandesants or Soft White Cfls
are. The price of that product is about what I can get 15 Cfls for
with a 9 yr warranty, its not outdoor rated. Its an overpriced
overhyped product that doesnt compete with quality Cfls in cost of
lifespan, its a waste of money for suckers until the price drops 95%.
Sure th Leds will last, but that electronics package that powers it
only time will tell if it can survive surges and real world temps and
humiditys. So far what I have seen Fails on all points. Buy a Cfl till
things change in a few years, Marketing hype, Marketing and Sales, is
all you are getting so far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
ransley wrote:
Sure th Leds will last, but that electronics package that powers it
only time will tell if it can survive surges and real world temps and
humiditys.

I bought a mains LED bulb for a fitting which gets left on a great deal.
It blew up in a big way in less time than the tungsten normally lasted.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 9:54*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:.

I bought a mains LED bulb for a fitting which gets left on a great deal.
It blew up in a big way in less time than the tungsten normally lasted.

In my lounge I have 8 GU10 bulbs on two adjustable spotlight fittings.
Ok the 50watt bulbs supplied are dimmable, but I have the 80led units
courtesy of a HK seller on ebay. I personally have become used to the
light which is much whiter/colder than the orange glow of the hallway
cfl. But 20 watts compared to 400 watts is the important thing for me
especially as not everyone turns the lights out when they leave the
room. Now if they would just turn the tv off....

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dave Starling wrote:
I bought a mains LED bulb for a fitting which gets left on a great deal.
It blew up in a big way in less time than the tungsten normally lasted.

In my lounge I have 8 GU10 bulbs on two adjustable spotlight fittings.
Ok the 50watt bulbs supplied are dimmable, but I have the 80led units
courtesy of a HK seller on ebay. I personally have become used to the
light which is much whiter/colder than the orange glow of the hallway
cfl. But 20 watts compared to 400 watts is the important thing for me
especially as not everyone turns the lights out when they leave the
room. Now if they would just turn the tv off....

Well, you're obviously happy with the poor colour and the lower intensity.
Others may not be.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 2:42*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 14 May, 11:59, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

[...]

Actually Gallium Nitride for blue LEDs. Gallium Arsenide produces
Infra Red LEDs. "Ye cannae change the laws o'physics".

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 08:39, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

Actually Gallium Nitride for blue LEDs. Gallium Arsenide produces
Infra Red LEDs. "Ye cannae change the laws o'physics".

Course you can! Look up "quantum well" structures. Laser diodes work
because you get to write your own version of, if not the laws of
physics, then at least re-write the physical properties of materials.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May, 10:25, robgraham wrote:

I could never quite understand the logic of that as that heat just
contributed to the house heating. *No one ever complained that his
house was too hot because the lights were on !!

Not in the UK, but if you have aircon running, it becomes a problem.
Every Watt-hour of heat from lighting costs you three Watt-hours: the
one you wasted making it, then a couple more to get rid of it.